Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perils of tracking CCs using spreadsheet

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perils of tracking CCs using spreadsheet

WHOA...I almost lost it there.  I track my CCs on a spreadsheet with payment due date in the last column (I know, stupid).  I paid most of my CC bills already for this month w/exception of Venture, Sapphire and Ritz C which I thought I would take care of this evening.  So I mosey on into the Chase site and payoff Sapphire and RC.  Then I go get a drink, come back and open up CAP ONE.  OMG...the payment is due no later than 11/07 8 p.m. and it's like 7:45.  Needless to say, I totally freaked out.  I paid off half  the balance at 7:53 and then thought, what the hell, and paid off the rest at 7:54.  I took screenshots of the transactions which show time and date pre and post payment.  But I have a perfectly clean credit record...no lates, no BKs, no nothings. ...and I almost ruined my unblemished record.  I need another drink.  And I really need to slap myself across the face.  Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Perils of tracking CCs using spreadsheet

Id say its more about the perils of perhaps too many accounts vs how they are tracked. Some people simply cant/dont want to manage many accounts and a missed payment on your record certainly isnt worth it.

Maybe consider pruning your file? Get rid of some lesser used cards?
Message 2 of 49
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Setup automatic payments on all accounts and you won't have this issue.

Message 3 of 49
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

Autopay will set you free

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO...never!     THEY'RE MINE....ALL MINE!!!!!!   Smiley Wink  Point well taken.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 49
elim
Senior Contributor

Prism App is a great addition to spreadsheet tracking.   It gives countdowns to each bill and populates auto.  After you pay from anywhere (even from the app) they go poof.

https://www.prismmoney.com/.

Message 6 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

I can't be the only one who sets all the cards due dates to around the same time of month, right?

Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 ^

Mine are all around the same time. I get paid 2x a month and my 1st check of the month pays all cc bills. Easy for me, just go down the list.
Message 8 of 49
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

I can't be the only one who sets all the cards due dates to around the same time of month, right?

Not the ony one! I like to have all mine set to the 1st of the month. 

Message 9 of 49
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Nope ! And that changed for me 17 years ago when I started working for the State of Texas whom pays at the first of the month. I changed eachl due date to fall between 10th - 15th just for "wiggle room" & my bills hit my mailbox about the same time.

SisterGirl
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.