Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perils of tracking CCs using spreadsheet

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Perils of tracking CCs using spreadsheet

@Open123 wrote:

I can't be the only one who sets all the cards due dates to around the same time of month, right?

I need to do that.  Been too lazy

Message 11 of 49
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the Prism info.  I have downloaded and will check it out.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 12 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still slow to trust automatic payments and most personal finance software. I'm worried there will be an email about a change in some card's autopay system that I will overlook or misunderstand.

Message 13 of 49
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But I have a perfectly clean credit record...no lates, no BKs, no nothings. ...and I almost ruined my unblemished record.

Not with a 1 day late.  It would have to be 30+ days late.  A 1 day late could lead to fees, penalty APR's etc but will not be reported.

@Anonymous wrote:

I track my CCs on a spreadsheet with payment due date in the last column (I know, stupid).

It doesn't matter what column you use.  You need to be aware of due dates and payment cutoff times.  This is nothing inherent to the use of spreadsheets.  Use whatever tools you need to and however you need to use them.  Use autopay if you need it.  Set up reminders if you need to.  Change payment due dates if you need to, etc etc.

I've never had problems with late payments relying on my spreadsheet.  However, I don't wait until the due date if I can schedule the payment when I get paid.

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG...the payment is due no later than 11/07 8 p.m. and it's like 7:45.

Pay attention to the time zone as well.

@Open123 wrote:

I can't be the only one who sets all the cards due dates to around the same time of month, right?

No one is ever the only.  Many do.

Message 14 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel old with my method. I save the largest envelope from each card. On the front I write approval date, apr info, bonus info, and phone number.

I also get all my due dates set as closely as possible, so I know no matter what, I have to pay everything by this date this month.

Since I have been doing so many transactions lately that I pay the next morning I am worrying less about utilization reporting.

My next possible idea is to set up automatic payments. The only thing that bothers me with those, I havent been able to find a way to get them to automatically disable if I go on and make a payment myself for a larger amount. So if I did this, I would have to remember to deduct that amount from the full payment,or just let it go thru an deal with it later.

Message 15 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol this post had me laughing. Not that you should be late at all but you do know that most creditors have a grace period? And also late payments aren't considered late on your credit reports until 30 days late (I say that because you talk about your unblemished reports. They would've still been unblemished if 12 hours late lol).
Message 16 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

This might be weird, but I keep most of my cards in a box and I have tabs with their due dates behind them, kind of like recipe cards. I never owe money on more than two or three at a time. I run several different logins and passwords, all of which are recorded in a book, in case I forget, but I never consult the book. I remember everything. Haven't balanced a checkbook in years either. Always know where I'm at. I might do a bit of quick handwritten arithmetic from time to time, but it works for me.

Message 17 of 49
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

WHOA...I almost lost it there.  I track my CCs on a spreadsheet with payment due date in the last column (I know, stupid).  I paid most of my CC bills already for this month w/exception of Venture, Sapphire and Ritz C which I thought I would take care of this evening.  So I mosey on into the Chase site and payoff Sapphire and RC.  Then I go get a drink, come back and open up CAP ONE.  OMG...the payment is due no later than 11/07 8 p.m. and it's like 7:45.  Needless to say, I totally freaked out.  I paid off half  the balance at 7:53 and then thought, what the hell, and paid off the rest at 7:54.  I took screenshots of the transactions which show time and date pre and post payment.  But I have a perfectly clean credit record...no lates, no BKs, no nothings. ...and I almost ruined my unblemished record.  I need another drink.  And I really need to slap myself across the face.  Smiley Surprised

Hello OP.  A spreadsheet is a great tool.  I use a spreadsheet for my 49 cards.  I have the due date on the sheet as well, but I track my accounts by the close date.  When a closing date is approaching I check the account to see the activity.  I also use a color code system to mark accounts as paid.  For example, November payments have the account highlighted green whereas October accounts paid may be blue and December accounts paid might be brown.  This way I have 3 checks and balances (close date, due date, and color code).  This works very well for me.  Before I started the color code system, I didn't miss any payments, I was actually paying two or three times on accounts.  Good luck.  Now I realize 49 cards may not be for everyone but this is my choice here.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 18 of 49
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I need to do that.  Been too lazy

I've considered it, but it's helpful to switch to another card between due date and statement close date.  Since I tend to only use two cards, perhaps all of the rest of them should close on the same date as one of my two favorites.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 49
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

I use mint and it has been great fior me, however i have not tried any other "tracking" service

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.