Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perplexing AMEX denial reasons

tag
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

Perplexing AMEX denial reasons

I apped for two Amex cards on the same day. The second after an instant approval for the first. They made me wait 5 days and then declined me. In the last year I had no HP on EX for 9 mos.

Keep in mind that the first card, BCE, was Instant when you read this...

CE denial:

Derogatory public record or collection filed.  (One paid lien drops off in 11 mos)

Lack of recent information on installment accounts (okay... yeah... got two secured loans coming up)

Length of time accounts have been established. (Rebuilding here. Smiley Happy 8 new, 6 on 1/2014, 2 in 9/2014)

Proportion of revolving balances to revolving credit limits is too high (4%)

Too many inquiries in the last 12 mos. (When they pulled for this one it was, 1 HP for BCE, 1 HP from my CU)

It's bizarre. I was gonna try again in January. Who knows. Kinda bipolar. Smiley Happy

** edit: new card dates

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Perplexing AMEX denial reasons

I think sometimes lenders like putting some of the most ridiciulous reasons they can come up with if you don't have anything majorly wrong with your CR. I think the first thing they listed on your report is most likely why you didn't get the card even though you were able to still get a card with them.

I guess they didn't feel comfortable yet giving you another card right then and there and want to see history on the one you were able to get. I'd wait a couple of months cause I remember getting denied for one of their charge cards a few weeks after I got instantly approved for my first Amex, then waited about two months and tried for a charge card and the Amex Everyday card and got approved for both even after getting a CLI on my first Amex card. YMMV.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 5
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I think sometimes lenders like putting some of the most ridiciulous reasons if you don't have anything majorly wrong with your CR. I think the first thing they listed on your report is most likely why you didn't get the card even thoguh you were able to still get a card with them. I guess they didn't feel comfortable yet giving you another card right then and there and want to see history on the first one.

That is what I KNOW was the reason. Just scared them wanting two at once. Probably looked risky to them. As to the paid lien, I've been told by almost every analyst on recon, "You don't owe anybody anything. The paid lien is hurting your score but we don't see it as an issue in our decision." And then they approve my recon. Well, except Chase and that was only because I refused to let them to another HP. Smiley Happy

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 3 of 5
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Firehorse wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I think sometimes lenders like putting some of the most ridiciulous reasons if you don't have anything majorly wrong with your CR. I think the first thing they listed on your report is most likely why you didn't get the card even thoguh you were able to still get a card with them. I guess they didn't feel comfortable yet giving you another card right then and there and want to see history on the first one.

That is what I KNOW was the reason. Just scared them wanting two at once. Probably looked risky to them. As to the paid lien, I've been told by almost every analyst on recon, "You don't owe anybody anything. The paid lien is hurting your score but we don't see it as an issue in our decision." And then they approve my recon. Well, except Chase and that was only because I refused to let them to another HP. Smiley Happy

Awesome. That's great then. I think since it wasn't the tax lien, it was just them not feeling like giving you another card right away.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Firehorse wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

One of the funniest ones i've seen is "Pyramiding debt.

@Firehorse wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

"

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.