Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistence with PenFed

tag
joe867
Valued Member

Persistence with PenFed

So this story starts on February 14th when I decided to give my first app spree a try. I went for the CSP, BCP, PenFed Platinum Rewards and a CLI with my PSECU Visa. It was a very successful app spree and I was approved for everything I had apped for. Woo hoo!

But I still had the itch... So a week later I went for the Ink Bold and after a brief explanation of my IT consulting side business I got that. Still batting a thousand, great!

A week later I still had a lingering itch but I knew I didn't want any more HPs. I was poking around PenFeds website and decided I would give a shot at a personal LOC and their Defender Amex since they had a promotion allowing prior service members to qualify for it and at 6.9% for 60 months.

First application... Turned down, needed to send in notarized copy of ID and utility bill.

Second application... Turned down for the Defender Amex but approved for 10k LOC. I was happy about the LOC but being turned down for the Defender Amex wasn't going to work for me since it ruined my 100% success rate and I really liked the rate. After a conversation with a CSR she said I was turned down because they would only open so much credit in the first year. I asked if it was possible to take 5k from the LOC and transfer it to the Defender to get approved. She said sure but I would have to submit that in writing via email. So that's what I did.

Third application...  After calling in not quite 48 hours after applying and being asked to fax in a pay stub, Approved!

The whole process took almost 2 weeks and definitely tested my patience. Persistence certainly paid off in this situation.

EX 761 (5/14); EQ 784 (4/14); TU 778 (5/14)

NFCU cashRewards 23k | Marriott Premier MC 18k | US Bank Club Carlson 15k | Amex BCP 14.3k | Citi AA Exec 13k | Barclays US Airways 10k | PSECU 7.5k | Amex SPG 7k | Amex Old Blue Cash 5k | Chase Sapphire 5k | Ink Plus 5k | PenFed Platinum Rewards 5k | PenFed Defender 5k | PenFed LOC 5k | Gap 4300 | Amex SPG Biz | Amazon Chase 500 |
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Persistence with PenFed

Congrats! Persistence DID pay off.

Now, off to the garden.
Message 2 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats! This is the only Penfed card I want!
Im totes jelly, but Im certain you deserve it :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 7
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@joe867 wrote:

So this story starts on February 14th when I decided to give my first app spree a try. I went for the CSP, BCP, PenFed Platinum Rewards and a CLI with my PSECU Visa. It was a very successful app spree and I was approved for everything I had apped for. Woo hoo!

But I still had the itch... So a week later I went for the Ink Bold and after a brief explanation of my IT consulting side business I got that. Still batting a thousand, great!

A week later I still had a lingering itch but I knew I didn't want any more HPs. I was poking around PenFeds website and decided I would give a shot at a personal LOC and their Defender Amex since they had a promotion allowing prior service members to qualify for it and at 6.9% for 60 months.

First application... Turned down, needed to send in notarized copy of ID and utility bill.

Second application... Turned down for the Defender Amex but approved for 10k LOC. I was happy about the LOC but being turned down for the Defender Amex wasn't going to work for me since it ruined my 100% success rate and I really liked the rate. After a conversation with a CSR she said I was turned down because they would only open so much credit in the first year. I asked if it was possible to take 5k from the LOC and transfer it to the Defender to get approved. She said sure but I would have to submit that in writing via email. So that's what I did.

Third application...  After calling in not quite 48 hours after applying and being asked to fax in a pay stub, Approved!

The whole process took almost 2 weeks and definitely tested my patience. Persistence certainly paid off in this situation.

I'm considering a similar spree in June..........What order did you app for these?  What did each pull?

Message 4 of 7
unusuallyconfused
Regular Contributor

What's a PENFED LOC? I know it's "line of credit", but what specifically is that? What did you apply for in terms of that??

USAA Rewards VISA (7,500 - 03/2013) / DiscoverIT (6500 - 03/2013) / Cap One Platinum MC (2750 - 03/2013) / Credit One Platinum VISA (750 - 03/2013) / First Premier Bank MC (300 - 02/2013) / FingerHut/WEBBANK (5200.00 - 02/2013) / Victoria's Secret/Comenity (1500 - 03/2013) / PayPal Smart Connect/GECRB (2900 - 03/2013) / Lowe's/GECRB (2800 - 03/2013) / Amazon.com/GECRB (4500 - 03/2013) / Chevron Texaco/GECRB (1950 - 03/2013) / J.C. Penney/GECRB (2150 - 02/2013) / Target (750 - 07/2013) / Abercrombie & Fitch/Comenity (1850 - 07/2013) / CareCredit/GECRB (4500 - 08/2013) / DCU Visa (2000 - 11/2013) / NFCU Sig cashRewards Visa (7000 - 11/2013) - MilitaryStar/Chase (4700 /12/2013)

Message 5 of 7
CS800
Super Contributor

YOu have the EQ score to back the Defender with. Penfed does require 740 + from what I was told for their cards.

Congrats, it's a great card Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
danielodonoll
New Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.