Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal loan to pay off remaining CC debt

tag
amieric88
Established Member

Personal loan to pay off remaining CC debt

I am wanting to get a personal loan to pay off my remaining credit card debt. Currently my FICO is damaged by the amount of revolving debt - and if I had a fixed monthly payment I would pay off that debt faster vs the current method.

So my question is: would it increase my scores if I paid off my CCs with an installment loan and wipe out that revolving debt that's harming my FICO? What's the deal? The fixed payment would be amazing. The revolving is murdering my scores now.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

Re: Personal loan to pay off remaining CC debt

Why can't you set a fixed payment now? You know how much your debt is and how much your monthly payments are, all you have to do is do an automatic transfer for the payment.

Sometimes a debt consol loan is not a good idea. You have to check to see what kind of rate you'll get because they might stick you with an 18% APR when your cards are only at 14-17% or if they have any processing fees or whatever. While a fixed payment might seem nice you can do that yourself for cheaper. Set up how much money you have towards your debt and pay minimums on everything except one. When that one is paid off, whatever you put towards that put on the next one.

I did just what your are looking to do myself. Although I did mine with the intentions of raising my score to get a good 0% offer. I got a loan and put my revolving debt on it, then I bumped my score to over 700 and got offered a 0% BT with 0% fee and then transferred the loan back to a card, after its all said and done I am saving a ton.

Message 2 of 26
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Yes, if you're disciplined and don't run up some additional CC debt.  Easier said than done.

Message 3 of 26
amieric88
Established Member

Well NFCU will offer 13% for a fixed rate for 60 months. However I would pay it off in less than 24 months; but my interest rates are high on my credit cards and I pay more in minimums than I would for a fixed rate loan vs a credit card each month.
I would like my scores to rebound and I'm on my way in general but this revolving is killing my scores. Can I safely say that my FICOs will return and I can get my credit life back in order?
Message 4 of 26
Luscher
Valued Contributor

transfer all or some to 0% cards like slate if you can. and then pay the other cards off first if you can't transfer all of it
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@amieric88 wrote:
Well NFCU will offer 13% for a fixed rate for 60 months. However I would pay it off in less than 24 months; but my interest rates are high on my credit cards and I pay more in minimums than I would for a fixed rate loan vs a credit card each month.
I would like my scores to rebound and I'm on my way in general but this revolving is killing my scores. Can I safely say that my FICOs will return and I can get my credit life back in order?

What is your current revolving utilization ?    If your utilization drops significantly as a result of paying the cards via the personal loan then your FICO score would likely improve.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 26
amieric88
Established Member

Currently not including the cards I'm paying off with my bonus I'm about 90% but after I pay them off in aug - about 70%. My current scores do not allow me have any deals like a BT of 0% (yet).
Message 7 of 26
amieric88
Established Member

If I pay off the rest of the utilization with a lower rate loan, then ill be right about 5%Uti
Message 8 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@amieric88 wrote:
Currently not including the cards I'm paying off with my bonus I'm about 90% but after I pay them off in aug - about 70%. My current scores do not allow me have any deals like a BT of 0% (yet).

So with the loan your utilization would drop from ~70% to almost 0% ?  Is that what you are saying?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 26
amieric88
Established Member

Sorry - must have been typing away faster than I could keep up. What I mean is currently I'm about 90% uti and after I get my bonus in aug I am paying off a few cards that should drop me to about 70%.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.