Did you mean: 

Picking the right AmEx card

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Picking the right AmEx card

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The charge cards are cool. That said I'm undecided on keeping my Gold. I've got the Plum Card and it seems to have all of the gold features except membership rewards points and gold card events. AMEX isn't being too generous with CC accounts since they have been having financial difficulties.

Well in my case I think Amex has been generous as of late. I recently requested a CLI on the blue cash card. I went from 5K to 8K. Not too bad, especially since I have only had the cards since last year. Even so I still love my clear. But with Amex you can allocate the credit lines, so if I wanted I could move two thousand over and bring this puppy up to ten (you have to leave $1k in the other account). Needless to say, I am gonna try to use this bad boy for a year religiously and see what kind of cash back I can earn!

Congrats on the CLI!
Here we go again...
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You Fretless! I have quit apping and have been closing down cards one at a time. This was a great boost! It especially helps when one is on the wagon. But it proves that this place works. I continue to work on the scores, and they are going up albeit slowly. But I am pretty stoked.

I am going to see what if anything I can earn on this bad boy. I will put it first for the next year and see what comes out of it. But it really helps because now I can close out some more cards!
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
The charge cards are cool. That said I'm undecided on keeping my Gold. I've got the Plum Card and it seems to have all of the gold features except membership rewards points and gold card events. AMEX isn't being too generous with CC accounts since they have been having financial difficulties.

Well in my case I think Amex has been generous as of late. I recently requested a CLI on the blue cash card. I went from 5K to 8K. Not too bad, especially since I have only had the cards since last year. Even so I still love my clear. But with Amex you can allocate the credit lines, so if I wanted I could move two thousand over and bring this puppy up to ten (you have to leave $1k in the other account). Needless to say, I am gonna try to use this bad boy for a year religiously and see what kind of cash back I can earn!

Question: Do you always have to request a cli or does AMEX ever automatically grace your account with one?  I've never asked for one because I don't charge that much.  Just curious..
Message 13 of 26
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

MsQueenB wrote:

Question: Do you always have to request a cli or does AMEX ever automatically grace your account with one?  I've never asked for one because I don't charge that much.  Just curious..

I've had an Optima card since 1990, if I remember correctly the intial CL was $15k.  I've never asked for a CLI but AMEX periodically increases it.  I just got an unsolicited $5k increase to $37.9k last month.  More than I'll ever need.  As with all things AMEX, time and paying your bills on time are your friends. 
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Watchmann wrote:

MsQueenB wrote:

I've had an Optima card since 1990, if I remember correctly the intial CL was $15k.  I've never asked for a CLI but AMEX periodically increases it.  I just got an unsolicited $5k increase to $37.9k last month.  More than I'll ever need.  As with all things AMEX, time and paying your bills on time are your friends. 

Thanks, Watchmann.  My Blue is almost a year old so it's still pretty new.  You've had your Optima a while.  Did they ever do the dreaded FR on you? (Hope that's not too personal)
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ms Queen Bee- I have never had an automatic CLI from Amex, but I have requested one on each of my cards.

They can be finicky at times, they denied the CLI for the Clear (The one I use the most) but gave me a great one on the blue cash.

I know you asked this question to the other guy but no FR for me. They do monitor my credit closely. So they know my habits. Very interesting company. But I love them.....and I really love Chase.
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

While we are on this topic, would you prefer the charge card or a revolving card like Blue Cash?

Message Edited by jessep28 on 07-27-2008 08:40 PM
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, This my first post.  I've been reading alot on myfico and has helped me alot.  I just received the amex delta gold card and haven't activated yet.  I'm thinking of converting to the amex blue.  Should I keep the delta gold or convert to the blue.  Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated...

Thanks
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO- The Delta is has better rewards than the Blue (unles you never Travel)

The AF on the Delta is only $40 if you have a charge card-

Blue Cash is great (if you can push enough though it)

Keep the Delta, in Jan get a charge card (green or Gold) if you don't like all the miles you get from the Delta- swap to Blue or Blue cash-

MadMav wrote:
Hello, This my first post.  I've been reading alot on myfico and has helped me alot.  I just received the amex delta gold card and haven't activated yet.  I'm thinking of converting to the amex blue.  Should I keep the delta gold or convert to the blue.  Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated...

Thanks

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Timothy...I think I'll do that...hopefully I'll be able to get one of those cards.  Only time will tell...
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.