tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Picking the right credit card with the right benefits

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to you and your family.. 

I'm also sorry that the airline couldn't do anything to help you in your time of need. 

To add to your suggestion of a card with trip protection, you might also want to look at booking flights directly from the carrier. They might be more likely to work with you when you buy from them vs. priceline, orbitz, etc.. I'm usually able to get the same price through the carrier as I am when I'm price shopping. I'll use kayak to find the flight. Then when it finds the cheapest flight, i check directly with the carrier for the same flight. I think I've always been able to get the same flight for the same price. 

Also, research the trip interruption/cancellation fine print on each card as well. There's alot they don't cover for cancellation/interruption. 

The travel rewards cards seem to have the better trip insurance benefits. The Citi Primer/prestige, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Platinum etc.. 

I know there's much more knolegeble people on here than I, I hope they can help you with some tips to possibly get your ticket refunds. Good luck with everything!

I'm very very sorry for your loss. It adds insult to injury that you now have to send a death certificate to the airline. That kind of stuff always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As to your point regarding the fine print of the card: I could not agree with you more. I look at that as equally important if not more than the cash back or points it accrues. I think you would be very happy acquiring the CSP in this case. Also, I LOVVEE the DC's benefits. I think people may think I secretly work for Citi the way I praise it. At least the WEMC version, I don't know if they all share the same benefits. I'm still looking for a card to beat the DC's benefits. I can't find them. For a more travel focused card- CSP all the way!

Why is that unreasonable for them to request a death certificate?  Airlines do this now because historically back when they would let you change your flights or book flights at the last minute cheaply due to a death in the family, consumers abused this and many people lied to the airlines claiming a death in the family.  Now due to this abuse they request verification via a death certificate.  Completely reasonable and it's certainly not an insult.

I'm being sympathetic to the poster's loss. Of course people have abused the system and they want verification which is fine but when you're that person trying to tell the coroner to put some pep in their step completing the death certificate because American Airlines wants it within 30 days- it's an insult to injury.

Meaning the OP has 100 more important things to worry about than getting an airline her father-in-laws death certificate in what they seem a timely manner.

Of course on face value looking at it from the airlines perspective it's a neccessary request  since people abuse the system.

An analogy would be that jerk professor in college who wouldn't let you retake an exam you missed for a funeral unless you provided the death certificate. Sure if you look at it in a clinical sterile emotionless manner the professor has to do that to ensure people aren't skipping tests for their own gain but it still is in bad taste. Irish, I think we're looking at it from two different perspectives. I'm showing empathy and you're looking at it in a clinical manner. To each their own.

I've got to admit I'm a bit taken aback on that one, Irish. I was just trying to empathize with the poster.

I understood what you meant when you said to add insult. I think it is a little unreasonable to ask for me to provide it in 30 days. I'm not sure if anyone on this post so far has had to deal with loss of a relative and deal with death certificates and all but most are not giving immediately. It usually take about 3 weeks to get one. With us trying to get this taken care of and we don't live in Texas its been a little harder because we haven't been able to walk into the mortuary or the hospital to see what the hold up is. We've been dealing with everything on the phone. I think 60 days would have made more sense but hey that's their policy and policy is policy. Acutally it's pricelines policy because United Airlines told me they don't have a timeframe for the death certificate they just need one.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Picking the right credit card with the right benefits

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to you and your family.. 

I'm also sorry that the airline couldn't do anything to help you in your time of need. 

To add to your suggestion of a card with trip protection, you might also want to look at booking flights directly from the carrier. They might be more likely to work with you when you buy from them vs. priceline, orbitz, etc.. I'm usually able to get the same price through the carrier as I am when I'm price shopping. I'll use kayak to find the flight. Then when it finds the cheapest flight, i check directly with the carrier for the same flight. I think I've always been able to get the same flight for the same price. 

Also, research the trip interruption/cancellation fine print on each card as well. There's alot they don't cover for cancellation/interruption. 

The travel rewards cards seem to have the better trip insurance benefits. The Citi Primer/prestige, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Platinum etc.. 

I know there's much more knolegeble people on here than I, I hope they can help you with some tips to possibly get your ticket refunds. Good luck with everything!

I'm very very sorry for your loss. It adds insult to injury that you now have to send a death certificate to the airline. That kind of stuff always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As to your point regarding the fine print of the card: I could not agree with you more. I look at that as equally important if not more than the cash back or points it accrues. I think you would be very happy acquiring the CSP in this case. Also, I LOVVEE the DC's benefits. I think people may think I secretly work for Citi the way I praise it. At least the WEMC version, I don't know if they all share the same benefits. I'm still looking for a card to beat the DC's benefits. I can't find them. For a more travel focused card- CSP all the way!

Why is that unreasonable for them to request a death certificate?  Airlines do this now because historically back when they would let you change your flights or book flights at the last minute cheaply due to a death in the family, consumers abused this and many people lied to the airlines claiming a death in the family.  Now due to this abuse they request verification via a death certificate.  Completely reasonable and it's certainly not an insult.

I'm being sympathetic to the poster's loss. Of course people have abused the system and they want verification which is fine but when you're that person trying to tell the coroner to put some pep in their step completing the death certificate because American Airlines wants it within 30 days- it's an insult to injury.

Meaning the OP has 100 more important things to worry about than getting an airline her father-in-laws death certificate in what they seem a timely manner.

Of course on face value looking at it from the airlines perspective it's a neccessary request  since people abuse the system.

An analogy would be that jerk professor in college who wouldn't let you retake an exam you missed for a funeral unless you provided the death certificate. Sure if you look at it in a clinical sterile emotionless manner the professor has to do that to ensure people aren't skipping tests for their own gain but it still is in bad taste. Irish, I think we're looking at it from two different perspectives. I'm showing empathy and you're looking at it in a clinical manner. To each their own.

I've got to admit I'm a bit taken aback on that one, Irish. I was just trying to empathize with the poster.

Showing empathy to the OP and pointing out that it's not unreasonable at all for them to request a death certificate are not mutually exclusive.  Of course it's not fun to hurry to get the certificate and it adds stress.  I know because I have had to do it 3 times.  I still understand why they have to do it and I appreciate the fact that the airline helped me out when I provided them proof.  

I understand what you are saying as well but this post was just to let other know be sure to read disclosure, understand your terms, know what benefits are provided, and make your decision not just based on being able to get approved.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.