Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan for Cash+/Sallie Mae/Amex Fidelity

tag
SomeGuyNamedFred
Established Member

Plan for Cash+/Sallie Mae/Amex Fidelity

Could use some advice in planning out my next three apps.  I'm looking to add the following cards:

• US Bank Cash +
  • Sallie Mae (5% groceries/gas/bookstore)
  • Fidelity Amex

I'm hoping to get limits for each of  about 10k, but definitely no less than 5K.   I've read that some of these card companies are particulary stringent (US Bank) or are particular about new inquiries (Sallie Mae). What do you think would be the best strategy?  Should I app all in the same day?  Stagger them out?  And what would you say are my chances of approval given my profile below?  

Credit Scores:  783 Eq Sep 2013 // 772 Exp July 2013 // 762 Exp Dec 2012

Oldest Account (student loan): ~9 years, paid off in Feb 2014 (note that scores above were before paying off student loans)

Oldest Credit Card (Freedom): 1 yr 4 mo

AAOA: ~5.5 yrs

Inquiries:  4 all on Experian (2 are 1 yr 4 mo old, and 2 are 10 mo old )

Credit cards: 

Chase Freedom 5K (history: 500 Mar 2013 --> 800 Aug 2013 --> 5K Sep 2013)

Amex BCE 12K (history: 2K Sep 2013 --> 6K Nov 2013 --> 12K Jun 2013)

Salary: 85-100K

No negatives, always pif, always report a balance for one card only with util between 1-7%  etc etc....

Also note i don't have an account with any of these three banks/institutions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Re: Plan for Cash+/Sallie Mae/Amex Fidelity

@SomeGuyNamedFred wrote:

Could use some advice in planning out my next three apps.  I'm looking to add the following cards:

• US Bank Cash +
  • Sallie Mae (5% groceries/gas/bookstore)
  • Fidelity Amex

I'm hoping to get limits for each of  about 10k, but definitely no less than 5K.   I've read that some of these card companies are particulary stringent (US Bank) or are particular about new inquiries (Sallie Mae). What do you think would be the best strategy?  Should I app all in the same day?  Stagger them out?  And what would you say are my chances of approval given my profile below?  

Credit Scores:  783 Eq Sep 2013 // 772 Exp July 2013 // 762 Exp Dec 2012

Oldest Account (student loan): ~9 years, paid off in Feb 2014 (note that scores above were before paying off student loans)

Oldest Credit Card (Freedom): 1 yr 4 mo

AAOA: ~5.5 yrs

Inquiries:  4 all on Experian (2 are 1 yr 4 mo old, and 2 are 10 mo old )

Credit cards: 

Chase Freedom 5K (history: 500 Mar 2013 --> 800 Aug 2013 --> 5K Sep 2013)

Amex BCE 12K (history: 2K Sep 2013 --> 6K Nov 2013 --> 12K Jun 2013)

Salary: 85-100K

No negatives, always pif, always report a balance for one card only with util between 1-7%  etc etc....

Also note i don't have an account with any of these three banks/institutions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well Sallie Mae will pull Tu and Amex will pull Ex. I did SM first as they are HP sensitive and then my Amex because they have been know to do a double pull.  I have not apped for any US Bank products so I am not sure who they pull.  So maybe some one else can comment on them. I would think I would ap for the least desired of the three last.  

Great grouping of cards. Cash + and Fidelity are next on my radar!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 2 of 27
JoeFontana

Fidelity Amex is one of only 2 I was auto approved for in my last spree (the other was Amex BCP). I'm not sure the criteria, but I had a very short credit history (only 7 months) and only 1 account but always paid on time in full. I don't think that one is supposed to be hard to get. It's my impression that Amex is just generous. 

I'm looking at trying to get Cash+ and Sallie Mae Mastercard also. I'm just going to go for another spree in January. I'm hoping to just get the Sallie Mae Mastercard without anything special, but for Cash+ I created a checking/savings account with US Bank and I'm going to use that as my main bank account. I'm told that helps. 

Message 3 of 27
hwnstyle21
Established Member

US Bank pulled EX for my Perks+

(California)

Message 4 of 27
psm
Contributor

US Bank pulled EQ here - Minneapolis - Cash+ May 2013

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 5 of 27
SomeGuyNamedFred
Established Member

@BluePoodle wrote:

Well Sallie Mae will pull Tu and Amex will pull Ex. I did SM first as they are HP sensitive and then my Amex because they have been know to do a double pull.  I have not apped for any US Bank products so I am not sure who they pull.  So maybe some one else can comment on them. I would think I would ap for the least desired of the three last.  

Great grouping of cards. Cash + and Fidelity are next on my radar!

Thanks.  I want cash+ the most followed by sallie mae, and then amex.  I just keep hearing that sallie mae is inquiry sensitive, so would consider apping for that first if it wouldn't hurt my chances with us bank.    But if they pull different reports, then maybe it doesn't matter.

Message 6 of 27
psm
Contributor

Do you have any accounts with US Bank presently?

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 7 of 27
SomeGuyNamedFred
Established Member

@JoeFontana wrote:

I'm looking at trying to get Cash+ and Sallie Mae Mastercard also. I'm just going to go for another spree in January. I'm hoping to just get the Sallie Mae Mastercard without anything special, but for Cash+ I created a checking/savings account with US Bank and I'm going to use that as my main bank account. I'm told that helps. 

I'd prefer to app without opening any new checking accounts, but may open one if necessary.  Do you think my profile is good enough to app without a previous relationship? 

Message 8 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Although they pull different bureaus (BoA and SallieMae) they both report the new TL almost immediately, usually 2-3 days. 

Message 9 of 27
SomeGuyNamedFred
Established Member

@psm wrote:

Do you have any accounts with US Bank presently?

No, I'm hoping to avoid the hassle, but if i did open one, how long is a good time to wait to establish a relationship before apping for the card?

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.