Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan of Attack for 2014

tag
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Plan of Attack for 2014

Here's my existing lineup for active CCs:

Best Buy RZ MC              | CL: $1,750 | 6/2010 | Sockdrawered but oldest open line
NFCU CashRewards      | CL: $15,000 | 3/2011 | 1-1.5% Cashback + 0% BTs
Macy's                              | CL: $500 | 4/2011 | Use a couple times a year for store discounts.
Capital One Platinum    | CL: $300 | 8/2011 | Sockdrawered - trying to put some usage through it to see if I can get a

CLI or convert to QuickSilver

Amazon Store Card       | CL: $1,700 | 4/2012 | Use occasionally for 6/12/24mo financing.
Barclays B+N                  | CL: $3,200 | 5/2012 | Pretty much exclusively used for B+N purchases.  Immediate 5% credit.
Discover                           | CL: $4,000 | 4/2013 | Rotating 5% categories
NFCU Navcheck              | CL: $15,000 | 5/2013 | Overdraft Line, don't use but increase available credit.
BofA 3-2-1                        | CL: $1,000 | 6/2013 | Use the 2% cashback for groceries.
Target                               | CL: $500 | 6/2013 | Use the 5% cashback for household items/groceries.
Delta Skymiles               | CL: $5,000 | 8/2013 | I fly Delta at minimum 4-5x a year so the free bags perk alone is worth it for the

AF ($95).  Also 2x miles on Delta purchases.

The only thing I don't really have covered right now is a dining card for restaurants and fast food.  Anyone have any recommendations for cards that give 2-3%+ for all dining out categories?  I'm thinking I will probably also get an Amex BCE/BCP next year to replace the BofA's 2% on groceries.  Other than that I finally feel like I'm mostly set!!!

No US Bank branches nearby unfortunately, so the US Bank Cash+ is out.  Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Plan of Attack for 2014

@Brusilov wrote:

Best Buy RZ MC              | CL: $1,750 | 6/2010 | Sockdrawered but oldest open line
Macy's                              | CL: $500 | 4/2011 | Use a couple times a year for store discounts.
Capital One Platinum    | CL: $300 | 8/2011 | Sockdrawered - trying to put some usage through it to see if I can get a

Amazon Store Card       | CL: $1,700 | 4/2012 | Use occasionally for 6/12/24mo financing.
Barclays B+N                  | CL: $3,200 | 5/2012 | Pretty much exclusively used for B+N purchases.  Immediate 5% credit.
Discover                           | CL: $4,000 | 4/2013 | Rotating 5% categories
NFCU Navcheck              | CL: $15,000 | 5/2013 | Overdraft Line, don't use but increase available credit.
BofA 3-2-1                        | CL: $1,000 | 6/2013 | Use the 2% cashback for groceries.
Target                               | CL: $500 | 6/2013 | Use the 5% cashback for household items/groceries.
Delta Skymiles               | CL: $5,000 | 8/2013 | I fly Delta at minimum 4-5x a year so the free bags perk alone is worth it for the

The only thing I don't really have covered right now is a dining card for restaurants and fast food.  Anyone have any recommendations for cards that give 2-3%+ for all dining out categories?  I'm thinking I will probably also get an Amex BCE/BCP next year to replace the BofA's 2% on groceries.  Other than that I finally feel like I'm mostly set!!!

No US Bank branches nearby unfortunately, so the US Bank Cash+ is out.  Smiley Sad

CSP  

2x 

Barclay arrival WMC

2x 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Brusilov wrote:

CSP  

2x 

Barclay arrival WMC

2x 

Unfortunately I burned Chase back in 2006 and may (?) be blacklisted with them.

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard of or looked into the Barclaycard Arrival before.  Sounds like an all-around awesome travel card.  No foreign exchange fees, can use any booking site and then just use the points to reimburse you, 10% miles back on redemption, and a 20,000/40,000 miles bonus for opening to boot!

Message 3 of 15
B_Strong

You could look at the GE PayPal Extras MC as well. 3x reward points for restaurants and fast food. Also 3x for gas (this summer, it went up to 6x for a couple of months) and 2x for all PayPal purchases. No AF. 

Cards (new to old): Citi Double Cash WEMC ($8k) | Lowe's ($35k) | Chase Amazon Visa ($5.5k) | Chase Hyatt Visa Sig ($5k) | AmEx SPG ($5k) | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Sig ($6.1k) | Citi AA Plat Select WEMC ($13k) | CSP Visa Sig ($18k) | Chase Freedom Visa Sig ($12k) | BarclayCard Arrival+ WEMC ($11.8k) | AmEx Plat Delta ($10k) | AmEx BCP ($9.5k) | Discover it ($10.9k) | PayPal Extras MC ($8k) | Citi Sears MC ($9k) | Cap One QS WMC ($8.5k) | Dell Financial (3.5k)
Current Score: FICO TU 775; FICO EQ 770; FICO EX 758; History of BK Ch 7 in 2004
Last App: 8-22-15
Message 4 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@B_Strong wrote:

You could look at the GE PayPal Extras MC as well. 3x reward points for restaurants and fast food. Also 3x for gas (this summer, it went up to 6x for a couple of months) and 2x for all PayPal purchases. No AF. 

It did look enticing.  The only thing I didn't really like was that you need to accrue a fairly high points balance to get 1:1 redemption.

I really wish I wasn't blacklisted with Chase (thankfully they're the only ones I've burned).  I'd really love to have their Amazon Visa:

- 3% cashback at Amazon

- 2% for gas, restaurants, drug stores

Message 5 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

In regards to your capital one, I would not wait or use before contacting EO by email and ask them to PC to Quicksilver and CLI to at least $5k and see where that gets you.

Message 6 of 15
B_Strong

I haven't done the math yet but I bet the lower than 1:1 redemption in higher than 1% cash back. But I could be wrong, lol. I also burned Chase. And USAA. And Citi. And Discover. And Cap One. I went up in a mushroom cloud, lol. So my options were severely limited for rewards.

Cards (new to old): Citi Double Cash WEMC ($8k) | Lowe's ($35k) | Chase Amazon Visa ($5.5k) | Chase Hyatt Visa Sig ($5k) | AmEx SPG ($5k) | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Sig ($6.1k) | Citi AA Plat Select WEMC ($13k) | CSP Visa Sig ($18k) | Chase Freedom Visa Sig ($12k) | BarclayCard Arrival+ WEMC ($11.8k) | AmEx Plat Delta ($10k) | AmEx BCP ($9.5k) | Discover it ($10.9k) | PayPal Extras MC ($8k) | Citi Sears MC ($9k) | Cap One QS WMC ($8.5k) | Dell Financial (3.5k)
Current Score: FICO TU 775; FICO EQ 770; FICO EX 758; History of BK Ch 7 in 2004
Last App: 8-22-15
Message 7 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

In regards to your capital one, I would not wait or use before contacting EO by email and ask them to PC to Quicksilver and CLI to at least $5k and see where that gets you.

Do you have the EO email address?  I did try Facebook already but without any luck

Message 8 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@B_Strong wrote:

I haven't done the math yet but I bet the lower than 1:1 redemption in higher than 1% cash back. But I could be wrong, lol. I also burned Chase. And USAA. And Citi. And Discover. And Cap One. I went up in a mushroom cloud, lol. So my options were severely limited for rewards.

Fair point, even if the redemption was 66% that's still 2%!

Wow, that's quite the list.  I know Chase blacklists (maybe forever, who knows), but I don't think Capital One does.  Not sure about USAA, Citi, or Discover.  At least you didn't burn Amex!

Message 9 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Brusilov wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Do you have the EO email address?  I did try Facebook already but without any luck

sent

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.