cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan of action for CSP and the next 6 mo to a year including freezing reports. Does it make sense?

tag
ficonewbie333

Re: Plan of action for CSP and the next 6 mo to a year including freezing reports. Does it make sen

BTW, I was just talking about personal cards when I was talking about that threesome. For the business, I'm going to do exactly what you recommended.

Thanks again!

Message 11 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Plan of action for CSP and the next 6 mo to a year including freezing reports. Does it make sen

https://creditcards.chase.com/

try the preapproval link and see if you are preapproved for any cards right now. Even if you are not, it doesn't mean you do not stand a chance.

When you open a banking account with Chase at the branch, ask the banker about getting a Chase credit card too. I have always had a feeling (not sure if true however) that the bankers in the branch are able to "increase" the chances of people getting approved for the Freedom at the very least.

Hope this helps.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 21
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Your going to have to start a little lower than a CSP likely.  Given you do have cards listed on your report still a Freedom may be in range.  Then in six months apply for the CSP. 

Message 13 of 21
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I was not able to follow the link you provided for the business version of the United card but low and behold I did find it if I searched on the main site. Awesome. Might give me reason to consider this card eventually for business as I do believe it's easier to get reward tickets. Cool - and thanks!

Message 14 of 21
ficonewbie333

Re: Plan of action for CSP and the next 6 mo to a year including freezing reports - Update!

First want to say thanks to everyone for the advice, much appreciated. Before I convey my experience, I wanted to share two points that I've seen seen a lot of questions about (including my own) but never any definitive answers, especially updated for 2013.

1.) If you go into the Chase branch the offer for the Chase Sapphire Preferred is 40K points for $2,000 spend in 3 months vs $3,000 online.

2.) Once again if you go into the Chase branch, the offer for the United Explorer card is 50K for $2,000 spend in 3 months vs 30K for $1,000 in 3 months online

So if you go into the branch you end up with 20K more miles for the same amount of spending between the two cards that is required by the online offers ($3,000 + $1,000).

Also, I asked her how long the in branch United promo would last and she said at least 6 Months.

Unfortunately, I didn't any such deals for any of the Ink Cards!

Anyway, I went in last week and opened the checking account and also let the banker know I wanted to apply for the CSP at the same time. I told her about the state tax liens, but that I had no debt and no recent inquires. She said that it was two separate departments and she wouldn't be able to tell me whether I would be approved or not, but that we could submit that application and see what happens. She also said that she wouldn't be able to call and speak with them about it beforehand, we just had to apply and then see what the result would be. She didn't mention the reconsideration but said that if I was denied I could try again in 3 months, nothing about her calling on my behalf. I didn't mention the recon line but just proceeded opening the account.

When we got to the credit card application I explained that I was in process of starting my own business and asked if I could put self-employed and she said yes. I also told her that I wasn't turning a profit just yet, but asked if I could but my gross income from last year and she said yes. So I didn't lie about anything and asked if all my answers were okay.

After all the paperwork we set up an online identity and then they submitted both the checking account application and the CSP application at the same time. The reason I put this in bold is, although I have no proof, I think this might have been a crucial factor in my approval. Yep, I got approved for the CSP with a 5K limit (which is fine for me at the current time), which showed immediately on the online account screen with the checking account info. Needless to say I was in shock! I didn't want to post an update until I actually had the card in my hand and purchased something with it which happened today. So, one card down a few more to go. Taking it slow, but hope to have 190k from chase sign up bonuses by this time next year (CSP 40K, United 50K, Ink Bold 50K, Ink Plus 50K).

They pulled my EQ report (both my TU and EX are frozen) which is consistent with what is reported on the Credit Pulls database for my area (Nor Cal). All three bureaus are now frozen. I spoke to the Chase customer service rep on the phone and they said in order to increase the CL it would be a hard pull and that they couldn't do it if the report is frozen unless I shared the pin with them. Also, if applying for new credit (according to the rep) you would also need to share the pin or temporally lift the freeze, even if you already have a relationship with the lender.

On a separate note, my credit score on myFico went up by 2 point after I was approved from 706 to 708. So a nice side benefit! Well, just wanted to say thanks to everybody again for all the advice. I have no idea if my experience is typical of others who have gone into the branch (haven't seen too many reports about it) but I feel pretty lucky and thankful.

Message 15 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Plan of action for CSP and the next 6 mo to a year including freezing reports - Update!

Message 16 of 21
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Awesome and congratulations! Now use the card and set your clock for 91 days to hit Chase again for another card. 

I have a meeting with my banker and the Chase investment guy next week. Setting up a SEP IRA so I can transfer from same at Merrill Lynch. I'm going to ask about offers on Business United card and see what my banker can offer. 

Message 17 of 21
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Wow that is awesome!  I had read before too that opening in the branch supposedly gives you that extra push for approval....apparently so because it worked out perfectly for you!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 18 of 21
nfs_mw
New Contributor

Awesome.. Congrats..Smiley Happy

And btw thanks for sharing the applying in bank vs Online spend requirement....

Message 19 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Plan of action for CSP and the next 6 mo to a year including freezing reports. Does it make sens

CONGRATS!!!

Sometimes Chase can go out of the box on approvals, glad you got your CSP!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.