Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning my next CLI which card?

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Planning my next CLI which card?

Hello all! Had a good week with a nice SP CLI on my BCP. Not a 3x increase, more like 2x but I'm extatic all the same. My AMEX is now my highest CL at 15k and once it reports I was considering bringing my Chase Slate(8K) or my BOA Cash Rewards (8.4K) up a bit. My Chase has seen no auto luv and has been at 8K since ~2008 and my BOA actually had its limits reduced from 16K to 8.4K about 3 years ago with no explanation other than reducing risk. I was not balance chased though.

Which card would be the best to try for a CLI? ...or should I just wait to show more use on my new BCP with higher limit?  I'm trying to weigh any pros and cons for each. I know CHASE I can have better chance at recon, I assume both will be a HP.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: Planning my next CLI which card?

I've heard that BoA will do SP CLIs, but I don't have a BoA card, so I can't confirm that. Chase will definitely be HP.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Marcos8 wrote:

Hello all! Had a good week with a nice SP CLI on my BCP. Not a 3x increase, more like 2x but I'm extatic all the same. My AMEX is now my highest CL at 15k and once it reports I was considering bringing my Chase Slate(8K) or my BOA Cash Rewards (8.4K) up a bit. My Chase has seen no auto luv and has been at 8K since ~2008 and my BOA actually had its limits reduced from 16K to 8.4K about 3 years ago with no explanation other than reducing risk. I was not balance chased though.

Which card would be the best to try for a CLI? ...or should I just wait to show more use on my new BCP with higher limit?  I'm trying to weigh any pros and cons for each. I know CHASE I can have better chance at recon, I assume both will be a HP.

Thanks

Both will most likely be HP.  They may also inquire as to the reason for the CLI.  And, if both your BOA or Chase CCs have had minimal activity in the last 6-12 months (unless you're using both heavily) then you will not see much upward movement.  The only time BOA becomes a SP is if your account is elegible under any special or pre-qualified promotion to get a predetermined CLI.  Chase offers this sometimes.  BCP usage with a higher limit does not necessarily translate into a higher CL for the others... YEMV.

Message 3 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't CLI with Chase, personally. It makes more sense for me if you only have the one slate why not go for a rewards card with Chase like the freedom? It's a HP for both, so why not is my ideal. I've never had a SP CLI from BofA, but I'm sure if you talked to a human a smaller one might be.

Those are pretty substantial CLs, and I think it's more wanting more than anything right now, right? Just give it time and they will grow.

FinStar is, as always, on point with all of the things he brought up.

Either way, GL and let us know which route you take and if you have any results. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Agree with above posters. For Chase I would also rather go for a new card - result could be way better than with CLI and then you can still move CL around. That depends of course if there is a Chase card that will fit into your spending pattern...some have great sign up bonuses at the moment.  As for BofA you might get luckly like me ..asked for a CLI and had hardly used their cards and they doubled both of my cards. But with a HP as customer initiated this time.  My love went to Discover in the past year  which seams not to appreciate at all so I will use my BofA cards a bit more and SD Discover. Good luck and please let us how it went Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@lg8302ch wrote:

Agree with above posters. For Chase I would also rather go for a new card - result could be way better than with CLI and then you can still move CL around. That depends of course if there is a Chase card that will fit into your spending pattern...some have great sign up bonuses at the moment.  As for BofA you might get luckly like me ..asked for a CLI and had hardly used their cards and they doubled both of my cards. But with a HP as customer initiated this time.  My love went to Discover in the past year  which seams not to appreciate at all so I will use my BofA cards a bit more and SD Discover. Good luck and please let us how it went Smiley Happy

I'm curious as to why all of your spending isn't going to the Arrival? 2x points which if redeemed for travel is 2.2x pts is pretty darn good right? I don't know of any other cash back card that high for personal besides the rotating 5% categories... Am I wrong to think that this should be most people's primary cards that have them or what is the down side of this card? (Sorry for the tangent!) To tie it back.. also heavy use has been proven to make CLs grow on Barclays right?

Message 6 of 8
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I guess a new card could be an option but honestly I feel fine with the amount of cards I have now. I'm a gardner by nature. With the new addition of the BCP it has now become my highest TL and MSD was also moved to early 1990's!!  Just figured I'd rather try to grow the current stable a bit more. It just seems that since neither of them have offered up any auto luv in the better part of 5 years+ that if I don't ask for it I'm not sure it will ever happen. I'm also weighing just waiting my next 180 days for my next attempt at another SP AMEX CLI as I feel much more comfortable with the potential outcome from that.

Message 7 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

For sure, totally understand that. It's just if you're looking for more CL from Chase a new app is most likely the way to go.

GL on your journey! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.