Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plat Amex Airport Lounge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Perks Are Pretty Much Worthless

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry People I know everyone here is stoked about this card but it's so not worth 450. Ther reason they give it out like water is that you are paying for the perks. I guess you can FEEL more important if you flash it but the perks are FULL of rules and restrictions. IT"S A CHARGE CARD i guess you carry a balance if you are willing to pay 30%
It might be a great CREDIT accomplishment but the reality is you are paying $450 this is a sick AF.
I got it because they offered me 50,000 points for upgrading my Green Card. Thats is a roundtrip to Europe or two domestic RT's. Worth 2 AF forr me.
If you dont fly OFTEN on CONTINENTAL, AMERICAN,NW or DELTA you cant get in. If you do fly is it worth $450?

You say the perks are worthless, yet you found value in having the card for a "perk."

Whether or not a perk is worthwhile is very subjective, it's going to vary from person to person. Really.
Message 71 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

ddd

I think it really depends on the person and their situation. It may not be worth it to you, but worth it to someone else.

If you fly a lot you would know about status. Let's say Platinum Elite with Continental... It would not be worth it because if you are Plat Elite you get a memebership for $300 + $50 initiation fee, so that 's $350, and you would save $100. That is ONLY IF YOU USE the card FOR THE LOUNGES. but...

If you fly free, like myself, and don't qualify for the Elite status, then it is worth it. I have to pay $35 (for the lounge) every time I fly. I can take my 2 friends/family (2x35)with me, when I do got into the lounge. That is a 105 on one trip. Some times I meet the SO (wherever he is at, at the time), since I fly standby because I fly free, I have to wait possibly on the next flight -- IN THE LOUNGE.

I figure all of the last minute flights I take $450 is nothing compared to what I would have to pay if I actually had to pay for my flights. I can save $38 a month and pay for the membership fee. I really do not have to use the other perks it comes with and I can still get my money's worth.

If you only got it for the 50,000 miles (let's hope not), then hopefully you are flexible to use them.
Message 72 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey ducky I just said the same thing. I have free flight benefits as well, but for Continetal.
Message 73 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

ddd wrote:

If you do fly is it worth $450?

Yes.

Message 74 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaybee wrote:
Hey ducky I just said the same thing. I have free flight benefits as well, but for Continetal.

great minds think alike, or do we have the same dealer?
Message 75 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shhhh!! Don't say that too loud. LOL!
Message 76 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

ddd wrote:
Sorry People I know everyone here is stoked about this card but it's so not worth 450. Ther reason they give it out like water is that you are paying for the perks. I guess you can FEEL more important if you flash it but the perks are FULL of rules and restrictions. IT"S A CHARGE CARD i guess you carry a balance if you are willing to pay 30%

<snip>

Just to add to my previous post:

I know we've been discussing airport lounges in this thread, but you seem to forget there are many more perks that come with this card than that.  Together, those perks are worth the AF, IMO.

I travel a lot.  I also rent a car almost every time I travel.  I don't like standing in rental car lines.  (Have you been to the Avis counter at Sky Harbor in Phoenix lately?)  This card lets you skip the line.

As I mentioned before, I'm originally from Chicago, relocated to NYC.  When I lived in Chicago, I lived across the street from Wrigley field and went to about 20-25 Cubs games a year.  Now that I'm in NYC, I only get to see my Cubs when they're in town playing the Mets.  Those three or four days a year mean a lot to me!  This card lets me get premium seats or a sky suite at Shea Stadium when the Cubs are in town.

We do a lot of dining out with friends in the city.  Making reservations 2-3 months in advance gets very old.  Saturday night and don't have reservations?  Call the concierge service, and they'll work it out for you.

The airport lounges are just an extra perk.

But thank you for assuming you know all about my lifestyle.

Smiley Happy

Message 77 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheddar and Everyone Who Loves their $450 Plat Amex

Wow, I'm sorry about hurting you're feelings I truly am but let me break it down to you below.....

Part 1

Airport Lounges

Airport Lounges....... Priority Pass $399 a year for UNILIMITED use of ANY Airport Lounge you do not have to have a SAME day tickets ACCESS to EVERY major lounge.

If you fly International First Class and some Domestic B/First Class you get into the lounges for free anyway.

Part 2

Upgrades

Airlines: You NEVER Get Upgraded to First Class for having Plat AMEX. You only get Upgrated if you have AIRLINE STATUS

Hotels:

Yes you get Upgrades but you Pay for them when you BOOK throught their System. Look on Expedia and Call the Amex serivce you want to pay $50 more per night and get a FREE upgrade using the Amex program go ahead. To me I dont want to fool myself, I know what they are doing.

Part 4

Domestic Companion

Come on!! There is a million forums about this Topic if you happend to Find the dates you want and they happen to find companion tickets. These are huge assumptions I dont to fly at 3:00am on Vacation or whenever they want so I can can get an over inflated ticket price and belive I'm getting a deal.

The tickets are so over inflated that it's cheaper to book on Expedia for 2 people. For the people that are succesful in using this, they either saved very little money and had to settle for some horrible days and times to fly.

Free Companion International First Class

This one is truly ridicoulous $15,000 First Class To Amsterdamm from Chicago and will get you one free ticket. You go on Expedia or Call the airline and they are $6,000 each. Truly worthless

Part 5

Consierge

Concierge LOL: I dont mean to laugh but you can get it with ANY signature Visa same exact service. You can get you're Cubs tickets and Dinner reservations.

True Story: Plat Amex Concierge (Girlfriend) Called to get same day reservation at PRIME the steak house at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. " Sorry Ms Rodriguez there is simply no table available for that weeked" I understood it was the De La Hoya vs Mayweather Fight Weekend.

I called my Southwest Signature Visa Consierge they got me a 6:30 pm Table OVER LOOKING THE BELLAGIO FOUNTAINS!!!! By the way I pay $59 a year for my Southwest Visa.

Part 6

Car Rental Staus:

Sure you get it faster but if you rent enough cars you get the SAME status. Per Cheddar he rents a Ton of cars and docent wait in line thats great. He can get the same thing with no Plat.

Personally I Avis Fast Pass straight to the Car no lines for me at all.

Conclusion $450 dollars for a Piece of Plastic that is worthless.But if you want it to feel important i guess it's worth it.

I did upgrade my green to Plat I got 50,000 miles and I was going to  pay $95.00 for Green anyway. 50,000 miles is promotion for excisting customer only, that is one round trip ticket to Europe or two domestic RT's.  

Message Edited by ddd on 01-26-2008 05:55 PM

Message Edited by ddd on 01-26-2008 05:58 PM
Message 78 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ummm ddd

Since you read so much, you might want to re-read this post. You (and one other person) seem to be the only one paying the fee.

Even if we did actually app for the card, its not like you would have to pay the fee for us.
I totally understand that you do not think it is worth it, but that doesn't mean you have to try and make someone else feel like they do not know their own situation. No one mentioned they wanted the card for status.

Trying to get carte blanche treatment during the De La Hoya fight (LAST MINUTE I might add)? You have to move more than $450 a YEAR! Sounds like you wanted it for status.

Even if the cost is not justifiable to you, it may be to others. Do you know think WE have looked into all of this?
Message 79 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.