Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platinum $200 air credit

tag
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Platinum $200 air credit

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I would like to use the credit towards an AA purchase. I know the T&C state that the credit won't go towards the ticket purchase but I've heard of people getting gift cards and getting reimbursed the $200. Does anyone know how that works? Thank you!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Platinum $200 air credit

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I would like to use the credit towards an AA purchase. I know the T&C state that the credit won't go towards the ticket purchase but I've heard of people getting gift cards and getting reimbursed the $200. Does anyone know how that works? Thank you!

Buy gift cards and they'll reimburse you without issue.  Use the GCs towards the purchase.  I've done it with AA multiple times.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Hello everyone,

good question, i was able to do it with southwest gc's but i'm not sure about AA. also, united works for giftcards if purchased through mileage plus x app (i bought amazon gc's). did you already choose AA on amex website? hopefully somebody else can help.

Message 3 of 17
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

I haven't chosen an airline but I want to fly AA. Would be nice if I can get the reimbursement for a GC purchase so I can use it towards the fare
Message 4 of 17
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@irish80 thank you for sealing the deal!
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're very welcome.  Glad to help.  Just make sure you pick AA as your airline choice.

Message 6 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Check out FT. There's a 65-page thread on this topic.

In summary, for AA:

1. Buy gift cards in denominations of $100 or less.

2. Don't have an NJ address or phone number on record with AA or Amex.

3. Wait 72 hours after buying the gift card to book airfare with it.

4. Understand that it's still not guaranteed to work.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 17
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Question, should I purchase the gift card in $50 increments? I've read this somewhere in the forum. Not sure if that matters.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Question, should I purchase the gift card in $50 increments? I've read this somewhere in the forum. Not sure if that matters.

I've done $100 every time and have had no problems.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:

As wasCB14 (very rightly) suggests, you might also want to double-check with the Flyertalk thread on AA gift cards - they have threads on redeeming the AMEX credit on all the various airlines, with abundant and recent datapoints for each airline. Just by looking at the stickies and the last page or two of posts for each thread, you should be able to get a good sense of whether it might be better to stick to $50 increments. Also, these things sometimes change from month to month, and so it's worth the extra time taken to double-check.

I found the corresponding thread for Delta very helpful when I was trying to get my airline credit for this year - it seemed that for Delta (at that time at least) you needed to do $50 increments, $100 gift cards didn't work.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.