Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plead your Case for the US Bank Cash+

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plead your Case for the US Bank Cash+

It gets dogged a lot on this board, but I love the card.  I have no problem meeting the $2000 threshold for the 5% categories each month and that's $400 in my pocket each year.  We use it for fast food [eat at Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A Dominos and Pei Wei each once-a-week] and cell phone use [I have nine people on my plan and my bill is between $500-$600 each month].  Big fan of the card. 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the card is great and have nothing negative to say. I use it for monthly gym membership and fast food purchases. A lot places code as fast food when they're a few steps up from say a McDonalds type place. My SL on the card was 15k and I got an auto CLI to 20k awhile back. Got the card is Nov 2014. I only spend 200-300 a quarter on it, so it's nothing serious.. but I always try to get 5% on all the purchases that I can. So I use this card for gym/food and Sallie Mae for gas & groceries. Then Fidelity Visa for 2% on everything else.

Side note: After this statement generates I'll finally have more than $100 cash back earned, so I can redeem for the $25 bonus. It's taken awhile to accumulate it. But as mentioned I don't use the card heavily. And yes I do know it's only once per lifetime of card now instead of anytime over $100 like it used to be.

I say go for it. The Venture is ok with a good sign up bonus.. but I rather have no AF and pair it with Fidelity.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think bookstores the best 5% category.  Everything I purchase on Amazon.com classifies in this category.  I also use the cell phone 5%. 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one, I use it for fast food and movies.  I travel for a living and eat alot of subway (and yes, some McDs and other places).  I also enjoy going to the movies with my daughter and when I get a free day on the road.

I was approved for a very low limit (1k) and I typically will get SLs of >20k, so relationship matters with US Bank.  Don't be surprised that if you don't have any other relationship, you will get a low SL.  My credit scores fluctuation between high 700s and low 800s, depending on the day and my balances (I put alot of spend on cards during the month that gets reimbursed).

I'm waiting to see how they treat a CLI request in a couple months.

Message 14 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It gets dogged a lot on this board, but I love the card.  I have no problem meeting the $2000 threshold for the 5% categories each month and that's $400 in my pocket each year.  We use it for fast food [eat at Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A Dominos and Pei Wei each once-a-week] and cell phone use [I have nine people on my plan and my bill is between $500-$600 each month].  Big fan of the card. 

While I am a fan, I think it is more realistic to compare to using a 2% card, so you get an extra 3% on $8K a year, so $240.   Not nothing, but sign up bonuses on other cards might be more profitable.

Message 15 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have two Cash+ cards. Auto CLI are generous. Selecting 5% categories helps me gather some extra cash back in areas I otherwise would not be able to.

'nuf said.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I have two Cash+ cards. Auto CLI are generous. Selecting 5% categories helps me gather some extra cash back in areas I otherwise would not be able to.

'nuf said.

RIght, really no different from deciding about other cards, if you can use these categories (which hardly change) enough, then it can be a wise choice, otherwise not.  In the same way a  Chase BA card might be good for someone who uses BA and partners a lot, and a poor choice for someone who never travels.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.