Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pleasant surprise from Amex

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Pleasant surprise from Amex

@Anonymous wrote:

Put another way, if you spend the full $6k over the year, spread evenly, you get 3.75% back with BCE and 4.4% with BCP. Amex halved the benefit of BCP over BCE, and if you aren't going the full amount, the break even point moves from $3167 to $4222. And that's just straight value, without considering the frustration of the lower tier customers getting perks that they didn't pay for.

Except... nearly all BCP customers will have no idea that this promo is even going on.

Shhhh! It's a secret offer Smiley Wink

If you don't want to pay the AF for the BCP, then downgrade to the BCE, that is a definite option that you have. But don't try to claim that AMEX is somehow taking money away from you with a 2 month offer to others on a different card. You decide to pay the AF for this card, or you decide not to pay the AF for this card by either getting the BCE or close BCP.

You also have the option to downgrade to the BCE, then if your grocery spend gets going, PC again to the BCP. You may even be able to get a small "reupping" bonus by going from BCE to BCP again.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 61 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

The complaints from BCP pwners about a 3 month, yes months, not years, bonus offer for BCE owners is ridiculous in my opinion.  It doesnt change the value of your card one bit.  Stop looking at is if this is some permanent bonus offer.  Again, it's 3 months out of one year.  Just continue to use your card and get the 6% back which is just the same as it was before the bonus offer was announced.

Message 62 of 67
r34dy2fly
Contributor

If you think you BCP holds less value now because of a limited time promo to entice current BCE owners to upgrade, then downgrade and tell AmEx your reasons. They'll probably say okay and laugh, much like I am, how ridiculously petty you're being. I'm a man of principle but even I can't get behind how ridiculous some of you are being that someone else gets to save more money for a couple months.
Message 63 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who let these proles into my highly selective 6% cash back club? /s
Message 64 of 67
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Wow, way be supportive and friendly, calling concerns/complaints "ridiculous" and referring to other forums members "ridiculously petty" and the like.

I didn't think it was an invalid complaint at all, and I believe I articulated that clearly earlier in this thread. Obviously many of you disagree, as is your right. However, there were ways to address the disagreement that don't include belittling or insulting other forum members. Personally, I feel like some of the replies to this thread have crossed a line, and for no other reason than simply not seeing it from the same POV.

Message 65 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Who let these proles into my highly selective 6% cash back club? /s

Indeed it is obvious they did not consult with the Ministry of Plenty before their rash decision.  More work for Winston Smith now.

Message 66 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Now that I know that Amex is happy to give those same rewards to BCE, I have less incentive to keep the BCP, and as I was already on the fence, I'm more likely to downgrade or close the card while shifting my spend to other cards.

You're talking as if the offer is just there for anyone to take and leave as they please.  It's a limited offer to a select group to get them used to a spending pattern and benefits they will hopefully pay for.  Downgrading would do you no good in receiving this offer to offset the expense you have, and if it did no doubt it would be a short-lived benefit.

Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.