Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Explain How Points Work on Purchase

tag
frankietown
Established Member

Please Explain How Points Work on Purchase

So I recently got some cards, could someone explain:

1) Do i have to book through chase UR in order to get the double points? Or can I just pay in expedia and get the double points? Do I have to book all travel related (flight hotel car) through this, or as long as I pay with my sapphire card I accumulate those points?

2) When I shop with Shop discover, is that 5-20% EXTRA on top of the already 5%?

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Please Explain How Points Work on Purchase

1.  What card do you have?  Assuming Chase Sapphire Preferred.  The CSP earns 2 points/dollar for all travel.  You get that regardless of where you book.  If you go through the UR mall, you can get some additional points.  The UR bonuses stack on top of the normal bonus the CSP earns.

2.  I don't have Discover, but I believe that stacks as well.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

The terms will have the answers to questions such as this.  Creditors and even the programs associated with a given card can vary.

Also assuming you're talking about the CSP.  Note that the CSP isn't the only UR card out there:

https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/offer-details

Earning Points

You will earn 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases. You will earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of Net Purchases made in any of the following categories: travel; dining – when you use your card at restaurants. Merchants who accept Visa/MasterCard credit cards are assigned a merchant code based on the kinds of products and services they sell. Chase groups similar merchant codes into categories for purposes of making rewards offers to you. Chase makes every effort to include all relevant merchant codes in its listed categories. However, even though a merchant or the items that it sells may appear to fit within a listed category, the merchant may not have a merchant code that falls within that category. Therefore, purchases with that merchant will not qualify for the stated rewards offer on category purchases. For more information about Chase rewards categories, see www.Chase.com/RewardsFAQs. You will also earn an additional 1 point for each $1 of airfare and hotel accommodation Net Purchases when you book at chase.com/ultimaterewards (for a total of 3 points).

For Discover:

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/shopdiscover-CBB.html

When I make a purchase on ShopDiscover, is the Cashback Bonus I earn in addition to any other Cashback Bonus I would earn on my purchase?

Yes.

Message 3 of 4
frankietown
Established Member

Thank you very much, that cleared a lot up ^_^

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.