Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Explain to me Ultization and AAoA

tag
JMills
Frequent Contributor

Please Explain to me Ultization and AAoA

I'm still learning and I'm still need some information on utilization and AAOa, is it good to have high credit limits on all your cards? If I have low limits, will that affect me in the long run, when apping for new cards? What will you suggest I do? In rebuilding stage. My longest card is 7 years, explain the whole AAoA process please, so I can do this right.
Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Please Explain to me Ultization and AAoA

@JMills wrote:
I'm still learning and I'm still need some information on utilization and AAOa, is it good to have high credit limits on all your cards? It helps to have high limit cards for UTL purposes but not mandatory you can still achieve the same goals with smaller limits
If I have low limits, will that affect me in the long run, when apping for new cards? While banks like to sometimes match other lenders to gain your business at some point in your credit history someone will give you a higher limit based on your CR, scores and credit history.
What will you suggest I do? Continue building a positive history with the cards you have keeping them at 1-9% UTL for 6-12 months and app the next level up of the card of your choice (after researching the requirements needed to obtain that card)
In rebuilding stage. My longest card is 7 years, explain the whole AAoA process please, so I can do this right. Each month / year w/o any new apps for credit your AAoA increases by a month ....Example if you don't appy for any credit for 1 year your AAoA increases by  12 months /1 year. If you apply for cards your AAoA then is decreased. If you search AAoA on the boards there's formula that will explain further

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

@JMills wrote:
I'm still learning and I'm still need some information on utilization and AAOa, is it good to have high credit limits on all your cards? If I have low limits, will that affect me in the long run, when apping for new cards? What will you suggest I do? In rebuilding stage. My longest card is 7 years, explain the whole AAoA process please, so I can do this right.

AAoA:

The average age of all your accounts as the acronym states. Take the age of all your accounts and divide them by the number of account = AAoA

Example:

Account 1 : 2 yrs

Account 2: 4 yrs

Account 3: 6 yrs

AAoA = (2+4+6)/3 = 4 yrs

The higher the AAoA, the better it is. If it's a decimal, FICO will most likely take the lowest round number.

Util:

- Take all your credit limits and add them

- Add all the credit that you are using from your cards

- Take the total amount of $$ used divide by the total credit limit X 100 gives you util %

The lower the util, the better. Generally from what I have read and understood, to keep util below 10% (YMMV)

Example:

Card 1: CL 1000, using 100

Card 2: CL 2000, using 200

Card 3: CL 3000, using 300

Util % = [(100+200+300) / (1000+2000+3000) ] X 100 = 10%

Low limits will affect your util % if you're using a lot of the available credit limit. If you pay them in full before the statement cuts, it will not affect your util.

The key to improve credit is:

- Pay everything on time

- Don't app for anythnig unless you need it (this will create hard inqs as well as may lower your AAoA significantly; unless you can have an AMEX backdated)

- Let your accounts age

- Don't let your cards report with high util

- Did I say pay everything on time?

Message 3 of 18
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@JMills wrote:

AAoA:

The average age of all your accounts as the acronym states. Take the age of all your accounts and divide them by the number of account = AAoA

The higher the AAoA, the better it is

Util:

- Take all your credit limits and add them

- Add all the credit that you are using from your cards

- Take the total amount of $$ used divide by the total credit limit X 100 gives you util %

The lower the util, the better. Generally from what I have read and understood, to keep util below 10% (YMMV)

Low limits will affect your util % if you're using a lot of the available credit limit. If you pay them in full before the statement cuts, it will not affect your util.

The key to improve credit is:

- Pay everything on time

- Don't app for anythnig unless you need it (this will create hard inqs as well as may lower your AAoA significantly; unless you can have an AMEX backdated)

- Let your accounts age

- Don't let your cards report with high util

- Did I say pay everything on time?

Well said, someone on here also said to remember the 3 Ps

Pay on time,

Pay before statement cut,

Pay in full.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 18
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@JMills wrote:
In rebuilding stage. My longest card is 7 years, explain the whole AAoA process please, so I can do this right. Each month / year w/o any new apps for credit your AAoA increases by a month ....Example if you don't appy for any credit for 1 year your AAoA increases by  12 months /1 year. If you apply for cards your AAoA then is decreased. If you search AAoA on the boards there's formula that will explain further

Are you saying AAoA is impacted by just apping, even if you are denied?

I can see it making sense either way but I was not thinking that way.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 5 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@JMills wrote:

Are you saying AAoA is impacted by just apping, even if you are denied?

I can see it making sense either way but I was not thinking that way.

No only approvals INQ's do not effect AAoA

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 18
JMills
Frequent Contributor

Omg thank you, its more clear now. What is better A good utilization or good AAoA? Or should I strive for both

Message 7 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@JMills wrote:
Omg thank you, its more clear now. What is better A good utilization or good AAoA? Or should I strive for both

Both

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 18
JMills
Frequent Contributor

MY AAoA is average is 8 years. I need to work bringing down my utilization rate

Message 9 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JMills wrote:
MY AAoA is average is 8 years. I need to work bringing down my utilization rate

8 years is pretty good, most here have shorter AAoA.   Obviously depends on circumstances, but in general utilization is "easier" to fix as there is no history, once you reduce the balance showing on card(s) that month, the utilization is immediately lower, never mind what happened in the past. AAoA is only increased over time, and by not getting new cards (except Amex) and Amex backdating..

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.