cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help, Forgot to pay a credit card?

tag
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

Please Help, Forgot to pay a credit card?

I used my home depot card sometime in September and I forgot I had use it and I remembered when I got my statement this weekend that I was 60 days past due. I went online and immediately paid the card.

I contacted them yesterday and they said they can't do anything and they have to report the history to the bureau. I have not been late in any other payment for 4 years and now this is going to hurt my credit by this little mistake I made for not remembering that I owe money to the home depot card.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
JWatson0405
Contributor

Re: Please Help, Forgot to pay a credit card?

Unfortunately, it sounds like your only recourse would be to start the goodwill process.  There are examples and explanations of that process that can be found here on the forums.

Starting Score: EQ-484(10/10/2011) TU-533(10/10/2011)
Current Score: EQ-701(1/18/2013) TU-735(1/20/2013)
Goal Score: 750s!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I tried the goodwill process in the past and they didn't work. They keep saying "unfortunately we cannot change the history on the account as this was not a bank error".

Message 3 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

In the future you may want to use something as mint or pageonce to remind you

Message 4 of 18
JWatson0405
Contributor

@eddymvp wrote:

I tried the goodwill process in the past and they didn't work. They keep saying "unfortunately we cannot change the history on the account as this was not a bank error".

You've tried it with Home Depot?  Most every creditor has different policies and stances on whether or not they are willing to make adjustments.  It can often differ depending on the time of day, or CSR that you reach with your letter.

Good advice to try and find some way to notify you, or remind you, of when you have upcomings bills.  I would say just keep trying, and hopefully you'll get lucky.  There may be some different contact info, phone numbers, email addresses or physical addresses to try.  If you have a solid payment history with them, and this is just a one-off, you may have a shot.

Wish you the best, its a horrible feeling.

Starting Score: EQ-484(10/10/2011) TU-533(10/10/2011)
Current Score: EQ-701(1/18/2013) TU-735(1/20/2013)
Goal Score: 750s!!

Message 5 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I just checked my credit score and it went down by 90 points because of this 30 days, I'm going to try the 30 days with them and will keep insisting.

Message 6 of 18
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@eddymvp wrote:

I used my home depot card sometime in September and I forgot I had use it and I remembered when I got my statement this weekend that I was 60 days past due. I went online and immediately paid the card.

I contacted them yesterday and they said they can't do anything and they have to report the history to the bureau. I have not been late in any other payment for 4 years and now this is going to hurt my credit by this little mistake I made for not remembering that I owe money to the home depot card.

What should I do?

i really feel for u,, its hard work keep ur credit scores going up and up, and it takes 1 mistake to set u back years,, i have a 30 day late on a car loan from 3 yrs ago that was a ballon payment at the end of the loan that i did not know about, i have tried and tried but can not get them to lift it, but i still try every couple months, i hope u keep trying, what i do now is have all my accounts online and all shortcuts on my desktop and check them everyday to make sure i dont 4get something, i know it is easy to do... best of luck to u...

Message 7 of 18
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

Hi eddy and dale - I really feel for you guys as this has happened to me also - years ago though but the account has fallen off my report.  Persistence does pay off sometimes.  What I've gotten in the habit of doing is scheduling ALL my bills at the same time to pay regardless of when they're due.  I usually do this around the 8th of the month since my 1st bill isn't due til the 10th.  I then add them to my Excel spreadsheet I created for the week they are due.  If there's ever an empty spot then I know I've skipped or forgotten to do it, but I very seldom forget to schedule payments.  Maybe this is something you could try.  I also make sure I print all the confirmations to a PDF because just when you don't, there's an issue.

Good luck to your both.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Message 8 of 18
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I hadn't use this card in about a year and used it in september and forgot that I owe to it. I just mailed the good will letter, I hope it works.

Message 9 of 18
dalebb
Valued Contributor

i hope so too

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.