cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please.... Need Help with Amex. Please....

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Please.... Need Help with Amex. Please....

I am totally lost and confused with Amex and their Approval Process. Please, help me....

Just yesterday day I got off the phone to find out why my app for blue is rejected. They said ok wait few months and app for it.

Now this evening I login to Amex account right Under the Summary of Accounts there is  "this bright shiny invitation to apply for Blue Cash."

What is going on with me and Amex? Should I respond to the invitation and app for it?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please.... Need Help with Amex. Please....

you are really od ing on amex give it rest dude check into the AMEX sleigh centerSmiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think that these "pre-approvals" (which really seem to be invitations to apply) are generated from a really simplified look at credit scores and little else. So it might be coming from your general credit picture, rather than from evaluating you, concorduser. It's the equivalent of the invitations you get in the mail --they're offered to those who fit a really vague and general profile. Once you really apply, then the bright lights and magnifiers come out.

Seems like there were an awful lot of denials from those who tried this site a couple of weeks ago.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 26
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

yes really.. you have plenty of Amex cards and are just pushing the lion in the teeth..

If the actuall app and manual review concluded DENIAL and a sweet apologetic "you can ofcourse, apply again in a few months" (to make you feel better, they can and may deny again anyway!)

than the online preapproval doesnt mean anything
Message 4 of 26
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi Hauling, I think it is Cheddar who said or some one said in one of the posts if you see the flashing link underneath the "Summary of Accounts" It is preapproval.
Message 5 of 26
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I said, heck with it and filled out the App. It is declined saying I have a Recovery Card Product. I am not sure what they mean by that? I know they are talking about the Oasis card I have. But what do they mean by that, I should close that card in order to get another card?
Message 6 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Red1Blue wrote:

I said, heck with it and filled out the App. It is declined saying I have a Recovery Card Product. I am not sure what they mean by that? I know they are talking about the Oasis card I have. But what do they mean by that, I should close that card in order to get another card?

I think that they are saying, "Wait."
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

concorduser wrote:

Concord, didn't you and I and a few others have this exact same discussion just a few days ago about some other card you applied for?

Seriously, you need to slooooooooowwwww down with the apps.  Really.  I can't count the number of times I've seen you say, "OK I'm done for a while now.  I'll wait a few months to do another app."

Then I turn around and see another post where you're apping for yet ANOTHER Amex card!

Give the apping a rest for a while.  Seriously.

And you know I'm only saying this with your best interest in mind. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 26
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Red1Blue wrote:
I said, heck with it and filled out the App. It is declined saying I have a Recovery Card Product. I am not sure what they mean by that? I know they are talking about the Oasis card I have. But what do they mean by that, I should close that card in order to get another card?

Isn't there a process that you have to go through, a certain amount of time, before you officially "graduate" from Oasis? The program has a structure and certain expectations, and since you entered into it, I think that you should abide by that structure and those expectations.

American Express isn't going anywhere soon. All these cards will be there once you have done what you need to with their program.
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Isn't there a process that you have to go through, a certain amount of time, before you officially "graduate" from Oasis? The program has a structure and certain expectations, and since you entered into it, I think that you should abide by that structure and those expectations.

American Express isn't going anywhere soon. All these cards will be there once you have done what you need to with their program.

I don't have any experience with Oasis myself, but from what I've read, I don't think there's an actual "graduation" process.  But I have read that they seem to have implemented a couple of new rules for Oasis members.  1)  They won't give you another credit card until you close your Optima you got through Oasis, and 2) your Oasis Optima card will never be eligible for a CLI for its entire lifetime.

I believe these are relatively new rules, implemented at about the same time as they went to the new 6-month wait for CLIs.
What makes this difficult for current Oasis participants is that you never know at point Amex will have deemed you worthy to be approved outside of Oasis, but you also can't find that out until you voluntarily remove yourself from Oasis by closing your card.

Must be frustrating, I'm sure.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.