Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please check your credit card online information often

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please check your credit card online information often

@Anonymous wrote:

I suppose i take for granted unlimited texting and a phone that sorts all texts into one by contact... not a hassle for me what so ever

I just would not have any interest in receiving a lot of texts all day long. Not the best use of my time.

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I have a bad habit of only checking my balances with Barclay and not looking for temporary authorizations, so thank you for the reminder!

JustMe, you are welcome! I often do the same and don't always check temporary authorizations  - but I will going forward! These transactions are still in the pending queue and I would not have even seen them yet today since they haven't yet officially posted!

Message 22 of 33
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Thanx for sharing. Rest assured this will happen again and again to someone bcuz identity theft aint going away. For this reason I've used 'masked cards' almost exclusively online for some time and use my regular cards selectively in-store. And every card has a specific purpose. Just one more example of why account(s) monitoring is so important. Thanx again.

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to have settled into a pattern of about one fraud event per month on average. Maybe that's one of the effects of having 40 open CC accounts, LOL. In over half the cases, before I even notice anything, I get a call or email from the issuer saying they've declined a transaction because it was suspicious, and they want to know if it was actually legit (and it almost never is). The rest of they time, I'll catch a transaction and report it as "not mine" to the issuer. Either way it's quickly dispatched.

I am a little disappointed with Chase recently, though. About a month ago, I saw in mint.com an authorization for $9.99 to "WWE Network" on my Chase Sapphire Preferred. I immediately called Chase and reported the fraudulent authorization, but they blew me off, told me not to worry about it, that the authorization would fall off and that was that. So this last Friday, guess what? $9.99 charge from WWE Network shows up on my Chase Sapphire Preferred. So I go online and dispute it. On the plus side, when I logged in this morning I saw that Chase had credited back the $9.99. But it annoyed me a bit that they didn't bother to do anything to prevent the fraudulent transaction when I reported the authorization.

Chris.

Message 24 of 33
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I am grateful none of my cards have been compromised. I set alerts for any charge $1 or more. I love Chase because they sent me the alert usually 5 mins after the transaction is made...even if it is still pending. But yes, I do generally also check online from time to time. 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never store my card information online on any websites, either - not related to this, but probably a good idea to increase security.

Message 26 of 33
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never store my card information online on any websites, either - not related to this, but probably a good idea to increase security.

I hear you. I dont either. I even have a hard time joining these identity protection services just because I know they have my info out there. When I hear about all these people who store their entire lives on the "cloud" just because they can access it from anywhere I just laugh. Well, so can anyone else that is determined. That will never be me.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree jwbrkr! I's rather work to protect my own identity rather than give all my personal information to some service.

I also will never belong to these "Plenti" type rewards programs that Macy's is touting. Supposedly a number of retailers give and share rewards -and all of your info is stored in some external database by this outside "Plenti" company, No,thank you!

Message 28 of 33
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree jwbrkr! I's rather work to protect my own identity rather than give all my personal information to some service.

I also will never belong to these "Plenti" type rewards programs that Macy's is touting. Supposedly a number of retailers give and share rewards -and all of your info is stored in some external database by this outside "Plenti" company, No,thank you!

Don't quote me on this, but I thought that AMEX was sharing cardholder info. to Plenti via marketing. So if you're an AMEX cardholder, they already have the information..

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all of my cards set up to alert me over $1 transaction, it's really instant. Sometimes my bank apps will alert me while the card is still swiping (it's that instant in most cases).

I've had 3 instances of fraud on 3 diff cards in the last 6 months, and each time it's because I know instantly about the transactions.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.