Did you mean: 

Please check your credit card online information often

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Please check your credit card online information often

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree jwbrkr! I's rather work to protect my own identity rather than give all my personal information to some service.

I also will never belong to these "Plenti" type rewards programs that Macy's is touting. Supposedly a number of retailers give and share rewards -and all of your info is stored in some external database by this outside "Plenti" company, No,thank you!

Don't quote me on this, but I thought that AMEX was sharing cardholder info. to Plenti via marketing. So if you're an AMEX cardholder, they already have the information..

Right, Plenti is owned by Amex.   Don't know how much they will share with the partners though

Message 31 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have all of my cards set up to alert me over $1 transaction, it's really instant. Sometimes my bank apps will alert me while the card is still swiping (it's that instant in most cases).

I've had 3 instances of fraud on 3 diff cards in the last 6 months, and each time it's because I know instantly about the transactions.

Obviously up to each person's comfort level, but it doesn't really matter, so long as 100% of your cards aren't compromised at once.    This sounds to me like micromanaging utilization, it feels good but doesn't have a proportional benefit for time taken.    Cards are compromised all the time.   Often the bank will detect it, otherwise you do when you check statements once a month.   And then the charges get removed and if needed your card gets replaced.   I'ts not such a big deal.

Message 32 of 33
onstar
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I have all of my cards set up to alert me over $1 transaction, it's really instant. Sometimes my bank apps will alert me while the card is still swiping (it's that instant in most cases).

I've had 3 instances of fraud on 3 diff cards in the last 6 months, and each time it's because I know instantly about the transactions.

Obviously up to each person's comfort level, but it doesn't really matter, so long as 100% of your cards aren't compromised at once.    This sounds to me like micromanaging utilization, it feels good but doesn't have a proportional benefit for time taken.    Cards are compromised all the time.   Often the bank will detect it, otherwise you do when you check statements once a month.   And then the charges get removed and if needed your card gets replaced.   I'ts not such a big deal.

I agree. I don't really care if one of my cards is compromised since I won't be responsible for any unauthorized use. I usually look at my activities about once every 7-10 days, then every time the statement cuts, I make sure that every line item is something that I purchased. I hadn't had any unauthorized use on my card for 20+ years, then in the past 12 months, there were two. But both were caught by Chase before I had a chance to look at them (one was at a gas station in Brazil and another was a purchase online), and neither made it past pending to charged.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.