Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Please help! Called for Chase recon and was transferred to Customer Service...

wndrwmn78 wrote:

...One thing I would like to ask if you don't mind, without starting a new post, is your opinion on closing small, insignificant accounts? I know the general consensus is that you should not close accounts with a good history - just don't use them. But say in two years I want to apply for an Amex, and I have no inquiries and a 5 year history now - but they see my little $400 HSBC card that will never get bigger. Do cards like that turn the prime creditors off? Or will the fact that it's 5 years old make it not matter that I have a rebuilding card?

Thank you again! I really wish I had found these forums years ago! :smileysad:

I think that there is an argument to be made for closing low-limit cards, if it won't significantly affect your util now or your history ten years from now, when they fall off your report.

I closed my $500 CL Barclays Barnes and Noble MC at six months when the CSR let slip that it was not eligible for customer-initiated CLI's, and that I would essentially have to wait for whatever scraps they might give me from the table. My util was already less than 1%, the account was a month younger than my Feb 08 app spree, and it wasn't doing anything wonderful for my life, even though I prefer B&N to Borders any day. And Juni/ Barclays can be a bit eccentric.

It doesn't matter a flip to FICO scoring what your CL's are, as long as the util behaves itself. But we do have enough feedback from members quoting lenders that low-limit cards can hurt your approvals and CL's with future apps that I think that's something that should be considered.

For rebuilding folks who are moving from the 3-digit CL's to the 4-digit CL's, the starter cards are fair targets for closure, as long as you consider the factors I mentioned above (util and eventual history impact.)

fused's "Closing Credit Cards" (linked in my siggy) has a great how-to-think-through-this approach.

And I wish I'd found the forums sooner too, but I think I was too stuck on stupid to have benefited from them at the time! :smileyvery-happy:
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+