Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me meet a minimum spend requirement

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help me meet a minimum spend requirement

Yes, it is rocket science! At least it might as well be for me, and from all the differences of opinion, I see it really might be rocket science IRL. Smiley LOL

Thank you for all the avenues to investigate.

And to the person who was worried about me overextending myself to meet a spend requirement, don't worry. Not going to happen. When I got the card I figured I could spend my normal $300 a month on gas and groceries, then do some minor spending to hit $1k within the three month timeframe. Now, I have to find some other way. But I'm not going to go out and go crazy just to get a $100 credit. The gift card or prepaid card idea is really interesting if I can do it without setting off any alarms or violating any terms. Off to Google now.

Message 21 of 41
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

One says go, one says stop..missing the MOD stomp now...Smiley Very Happy

The reason I'm voicing concern is due to the MR point fiasco, before people started getting nailed for "pyramiding," and cycling the same funds for point/reward gains, without really spending.

No harm, no foul ibmbrad.

If it works for you, congrats.

Message 22 of 41
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

One says go, one says stop..missing the MOD stomp now...Smiley Very Happy

The reason I'm voicing concern is due to the MR point fiasco, before people started getting nailed for "pyramiding," and cycling the same funds for point/reward gains, without really spending.

No harm, no foul ibmbrad.

If it works for you, congrats.

Peace @Burned2manybridgesB44  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 41
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

yes, you can, but it's treated like a cash advance.

Message 24 of 41
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

My brother and I have separete Ebay accounts so when i get my CSP im thinking about using that to meet the req spending.

Im gonna have him put one of my old turbo setups on Ebay and ill buy it from him. He gives me the money back and thats it. There will be some ebay/paypal fees but i dont see any big spendings coming any time soon.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 25 of 41
pastnow123
Regular Contributor

buy gift cards online would be the way to go

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I got an Amex BCE for the grocery and gas benefits. Then I discovered that nobody in my remote area (except one gas station) takes Amex. Even the grocery stores in the nearest market town don't take it.

I need to spend $1k in the next 2-1/2 months to earn my sign-on bonus. The problem is that I'm about as far as a person can get from being a big spender. My income is pretty low and most of what I buy comes from thrift stores, garage sales, Craigslist, etc. I live a simple life and don't do any mall shopping, big travel, or entertainment.

My local utility companies won't take Amex. I have scheduled a couple of insurance payments and an ISP payment to go on the card. And I'll put a couple hundred dollars of gas on it, but that still won't meet the spend requirement.

Is there an honest way to meet the $1k spend requirement without buying things I don't need? Thank you.

Message 26 of 41
antae
New Contributor

Yea, buy some giftcards for the min. spend.  I don't mean to question your app for the card, but it doesn't seem that worthwhile if most stores in your area don't accept AMEX. 

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 27 of 41
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

It's violation of the cardholder agreement. Plain and simple. You risk closure. Smiley Sad

Can you quote the wording in the AmEx cardholder agreement where it says that?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 28 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@antae wrote:

Yea, buy some giftcards for the min. spend.  I don't mean to question your app for the card, but it doesn't seem that worthwhile if most stores in your area don't accept AMEX. 

Yeah, I should have checked that out first. I just thought that Amex acceptance was more widespread. Now it's a matter of "what's done is done." I'm glad to have my foot in the door with Amex. Once I can meet the minimum spend without doing anything stupid, I'll probably SD the card and app for something more suitale in a year or so.

I did just remember that Walmart takes Amex. That will help, too.

Message 29 of 41
antae
New Contributor

Good luck.  I started with AMEX almost 3 years ago, they have been good to me.  It is certainly a great card to carry.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.