Did you mean: 

Please help me meet a minimum spend requirement

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: Please help me meet a minimum spend requirement

@bribro wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

It's violation of the cardholder agreement. Plain and simple. You risk closure. Smiley Sad

Can you quote the wording in the AmEx cardholder agreement where it says that?

+1

Message 31 of 41
snowkitty
Established Contributor

If you insurance company takes amex, can you pay for the full year at one time since you probably have 0% interest for a year? I'm assuming you normally pay insurance monthly?

Also, do your grocery shopping at walmart if it's the super center.

Maybe you have family/friends that have utilities that can be paid by amex and then they can pay you cash and you can pif

Just some thoughts Smiley Happy
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 32 of 41
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Ok...

Blue Cash Everday: suppliment to the cardholder agreement, (pg 3);

Eligible purchases DO NOT include:

*fees or interest charges

*balance transfers

*cash advances

*purchases of travelers' checks

**PURCHASES OF RELOADING OR PREPAID CARDS

*purchases of any cash equivalents

Message 33 of 41
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Got a feeling that you guys that do, are slipping under the radar due to the seller's coding of the purchase? IDK...Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 41
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Might have already been covered but....How much is your rent?

Signup for williampaid...pay your rent...speding requirement met! 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 35 of 41
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

+1 for William paid for rent payment.
WilliamPaid charges close to 2.95 for credit transaction, Rentshare.com charges 2.85
Message 36 of 41
shols44
Frequent Contributor

+1 to rentshare...forgot to mention that. Sometimes a 2.8% fee may be worth it to reach spending minimum. OP what is your haul with the minimum? We can help you do the math. But IMO, this is the sure fire way to reach spending limits. 

Message 37 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I'm learning so much!

Williampaid and rentshare -- what elegant solutions. Unfortunately, they're not the solutions for me. I bought an old wreck of a house and my "rent" mostly consists of buying flooring and siding and new plumbing and electrical fixtures for it. But that of course leads to another thought. IIRC, Home Depot takes Amex. Although I hadn't planned to pay any more of that particular type of "rent" until summer, if I haven't come close to meeting the minimum spend requirement by early May, I'll just plan a Home Depot expedition.

Anyhow, I think you guys have helped me put together a plan:

$300     Gas (helps with minimum spend + 2% cashback)

$200     Groceries (chain store an hour from here that I don't usually go to; helps with minimum + 3% cashback)

$300     Insurance payments

$200     Walmart (won't get the 3% for groceries since superstores & warehouses aren't eligible, but will still help with minimum spend)

$  70     ISP payments

$???     Home Depot if one of the other options falls through

And that has me more than covered -- all with things I'd have bought regardless, and only one or two trips to distant stores I don't usually buy from. I'll carpool to those with a friend to help save expenses.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. The bonus isn't huge. It's $100 for a $1k spend. But because I found a $150 for $1k spend offer on the same card a few days after apping, an Amex CSR told me that they'd review my account and possibly give me that after I earned the bonus. I was thrown for a loop by the lack of local Amex accepting grocers, but spending $1k turns out to be easier than I feared even for a non big spender like me.

Message 38 of 41
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm learning so much!

Williampaid and rentshare -- what elegant solutions. Unfortunately, they're not the solutions for me. I bought an old wreck of a house and my "rent" mostly consists of buying flooring and siding and new plumbing and electrical fixtures for it. But that of course leads to another thought. IIRC, Home Depot takes Amex. Although I hadn't planned to pay any more of that particular type of "rent" until summer, if I haven't come close to meeting the minimum spend requirement by early May, I'll just plan a Home Depot expedition.

Anyhow, I think you guys have helped me put together a plan:

$300     Gas (helps with minimum spend + 2% cashback)

$200     Groceries (chain store an hour from here that I don't usually go to; helps with minimum + 3% cashback)

$300     Insurance payments

$200     Walmart (won't get the 3% for groceries since superstores & warehouses aren't eligible, but will still help with minimum spend)

$  70     ISP payments

$???     Home Depot if one of the other options falls through

And that has me more than covered -- all with things I'd have bought regardless, and only one or two trips to distant stores I don't usually buy from. I'll carpool to those with a friend to help save expenses.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. The bonus isn't huge. It's $100 for a $1k spend. But because I found a $150 for $1k spend offer on the same card a few days after apping, an Amex CSR told me that they'd review my account and possibly give me that after I earned the bonus. I was thrown for a loop by the lack of local Amex accepting grocers, but spending $1k turns out to be easier than I feared even for a non big spender like me.

Pay your cell phone bill a couple of months in advance.

With AT&T and Sprint you can pay any amount at any time and it carries forward until depleted. 

Message 39 of 41
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm learning so much!

Do you have a mortgage? Williampaid and rentshare don't care! You can pay your mortgage with your creditcard through them. Infact, you can pay anyone!!!

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.