Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help!

Good morning all Smiley Happy

A little backstory: I have a credit card with Capital One, opened in January of 2016 (my oldest non store credit card). It started at a $300 limit, was auto CLI to $500 at some point and then at the end of July was auto CLI to $1,300. The product is a QuicksilverOne Platinum Mastercard with an annual fee of $39. The rewards structure is 1.5% cash back on any purchase. I have about $45 in rewards racked up right now. I had an introductory rate of 0% that runs out in November.

Up until now, I have been using this as my main spending card because it was the only credit card I had. Now that I have a few more cards in my collection, I haven't been reaching for it as much. Because I won't be using it as much, I was hoping to do a PC but after speaking with multiple CSRs on chat, they assured me there are currently no upgrade offers on my account.

I will preface with the fact that I will be going to the garden very shortly. My questions are -
~ If I cold apply for a VentureOne or Quicksilver (both no annual fee) and get approved for either, would I be able to merge my current card to the new card?
~ By merging the cards, will the age of the account reset?
~ I travel 2-3 times a year. With having other cash back cards, would it be beneficial to carry a travel rewards card (VentureOne)?
~ Statistically, which is easier to get approved for, VentureOne or Quicksilver?

Thank you all in advance for any information! Smiley Very Happy
4 REPLIES 4
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help!

Good post, LT.  I'm looking forward to the replies. 

I don't have any capital one cards so I can't speak from experience on that but I did want to address your question about should you have a travel card. 

Do you tend to use the same airline when you travel? If so you may benefit from getting a cobranded airline credit card. I like these because it allows me free checked baggage, priority boarding, and some added perks along the way. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have gotten a mailer from American Airlines, which I see in your signature that you have. But unfortunately, I usually only fly whichever airline is the cheapest and has the most convenient flights.
Message 3 of 5
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a non cobranded card would be good for you then.  Venture, Arrival + or CSP.

Are you interested in sign up bonuses? And can you meet minimum spend if you are?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sign up bonuses are really just that for me - a bonus. If minimum spend is reasonable, I can use the card more.

I'm not sure if Barclays would let me in - someone made two unauthorized applications within the last 2 years - just tried to write to them and get them removed but they just sent a letter back saying the applications had my info on them.

Recently got a Chase Freedom - don't think I could app for CSP right now.

As stated above, I currently have CapOne - no upgrade offers - and its my oldest CC - don't want to age to reset if I merge.

Not really sure what to do!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.