Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of Chase Freedom or Sapphire

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Possibility of Chase Freedom or Sapphire

Looking to possibly add one of the two mentioned. I have a Chase BP gas card (not Visa) which I've had since August which I've used and paid above the minimum pymt.on time since. My scores right now are EX-696, TU-704, EQ-700. I've added MANY-10 new accts since Aug-6 of which are non-major CC's. And my highest reporting limit is $11k with approx 6% UTIL on all cards combined. Was hoping to get at least a 5K CL. How do my chances look? It's between Chase or another USAA card.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Possibility of Chase Freedom or Sapphire

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

Looking to possibly add one of the two mentioned. I have a Chase BP gas card (not Visa) which I've had since August which I've used and paid above the minimum pymt.on time since. My scores right now are EX-696, TU-704, EQ-700. I've added MANY-10 new accts since Aug-6 of which are non-major CC's. And my highest reporting limit is $11k with approx 6% UTIL on all cards combined. Was hoping to get at least a 5K CL. How do my chances look? It's between Chase or another USAA card.

More info needed 

Cards now with limits 

INQ's Baddies 

AAoA

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not certain what another USAA card would do you; last I checked the rewards structures were pretty similar between them and none akin to Freedom / CSP.

CSP I'm not sure with what you posted: a bunch of new accounts recently is just suspect, especially as they sound somewhat junkish from your description.  Adding another USAA card doesn't sound like it'd do you any good and might set you back further.

Freedom I suspect would have a much higher chance of approval.  I'd wait till six months out from the August spree and be ready to recon those new accounts.  That said, the Freedom and CSP have dramatically different reward structures, I'd look to see whether either made sense or if you're simply pursuing Chase to pursue Chase, or some other need for additional plastic.

I would suggest as I do to everyone: sit down and make a plan for what cards you want over time: junk tradelines which sit idle SD'd aren't of nearly as much value as quality tradelines which are actually used.  

        
Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

Not certain what another USAA card would do you; last I checked the rewards structures were pretty similar between them and none akin to Freedom / CSP.

CSP I'm not sure with what you posted: a bunch of new accounts recently is just suspect, especially as they sound somewhat junkish from your description.  Adding another USAA card doesn't sound like it'd do you any good and might set you back further.

Freedom I suspect would have a much higher chance of approval.  I'd wait till six months out from the August spree and be ready to recon those new accounts.  That said, the Freedom and CSP have dramatically different reward structures, I'd look to see whether either made sense or if you're simply pursuing Chase to pursue Chase, or some other need for additional plastic.

I would suggest as I do to everyone: sit down and make a plan for what cards you want over time: junk tradelines which sit idle SD'd aren't of nearly as much value as quality tradelines which are actually used.  

+1

OP - in a post dated 10/15, you stated:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

All opened from 8-14-13 to 9-14-13:

Pay Pal Smart Connect-$500

Sears/Citi store card-$2000

Wal-Mart-$500

Credit Union (from where I work) Visa-$1000

Best Buy/Citi store card-$1000

BP/Chase gas card-$500

Discover IT-$1400

Macy's store card-$600

And, adding the OCCU Card $1,500 recently as well, IIRC.  I would say your chances will be slim to none.  Why not garden and wait until your cances are more optimal?  Quality over quantity.  Just my 2c.

Message 4 of 10
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Revelate: Not exactly sure what you mean by junkish, but guessing you're referring to either a toy limit or a junk card like FP or Credit 1.  It's only quality cards with possble high limits that can grow that I'm after from here on. The reason I'm choosing chase is to get another quality card in my line-up. But NOT the Sapphire Preferred-just the regulaar Sapphire b/c I don't want the annual fee and I want the 2% for dinning out. I don't travel much or stay in hotels so no need for those kinds of rewards at the moment. An additional USAA card would be hopefully for a lower long-term rate (Rate Advantage M/C) and a possible higher CL to help even more with UTIL.

BUSINESS
Message 5 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+2

The low limits and the number of new accts are begging to be aged.

Show positive usage, get some CLI's and consider apping for more if necessary, next year.
Message 6 of 10
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@FinStar: Add USAA Plat. Visa Cash Rewards (10-16-13) with $11K CL to that list. My mistake was not letting that (USAA) report (which it recently has) before app-ing for the OCCU card b/c perhaps they would have given me a better starting limit. Given my relatively short recent revolving credit history, It looks to me as if they matched my Discover-2nd highest limit reporting at the time of approval.

BUSINESS
Message 7 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Move to the garden and do not apply for any new cards now. Let your new tradelines age first....believe me your Chase results will be much better. ..just my 2 cents
Message 8 of 10
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Was sort of leaning in the same direction as everyone else (letting accts. age) but b/c I was on the fence wanted opinions first. For right now I'll just concentrate on CLI's on the existing accts. First up will be Discover in 2 weeks.

BUSINESS
Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Think about it from a lenders perspective - it's all about managing the appropriate risks.  Credit cards are simply loans on plastic - good tools if managed properly.  While it may be human nature to think...why not? everyoe else does it here...why not "squeeze" one more in for good measure? 

Lenders view this as a pretty bad sign and credit mismanagement - whether you see it that way is another thing (i.e. desperate for credit and overextension) - red flags to some lenders for sure.  Why put yourself on the AA bandwagon?  Not worth the risk IMO.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.