Did you mean: 

Possible First Prime card App-o-rama ?

tag
haroony

Possible First Prime card App-o-rama ?

I am need of prime cards soon with enough credit lines to

take advantage work related expenses. Especially cash back

and reward cards.

Here is my credit profile at the moment.

(s)= secured card

us bank(s)  0/300  9 months

usbank (s)  0/300  9 months

BOA visa(s) 0/300  9 months

Discover  140/2000  3 months

Macys joint  0/100  6yr 4 months

MYFICO eq-754 utilz-6% inq- 3 income- 78k

no major debts or car payment.

I want to apply in next week for about 6-8 cards with about 15-30k credit lines.

Not sure exactly what cards to apply for but i was thinking

Citi, Chase, Lowes , Walmart,

Is it possible to get over 20k in credit lines and any suggestions

to which bank with rewards to apply to?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible First Prime card App-o-rama ?

@haroony wrote:

and reward cards.

(s)= secured card

I want to apply in next week for about 6-8 cards with about 15-30k credit lines.

Seems that you have a very thin file and is new to credit. I would advise you not to apply for 6-8 cards in the next week because you will not get the CL you want. Garden what you have and build your profile proficiently and slowly. Building good credit and file takes time. Garden. Good luck!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with chnceit. Although your income is acceptable, your file and current limits will not get you those CL's. Walmart/Lowes may in a year or so. Chase you are looking at $1500 tops.

You might get lucky with a CU for $5k but your biggest issue is 4 new TLs less than 1 yr old.
Message 3 of 10
Capya
New Contributor

I might get flack for this, but I think you might be able to land an Amex BCE.

Yeah, it's a thin file, but your score is 750 (amex usually pulls experian, you should get a MyFico Exp score first) and your income is good.

When I recently got my student loans rehabbed and removed, my score shot up to 767 (it was 666 a week before from Prosper)  and I applied for a BCE.    I had an AU on chase that helped my AAoA, but my only other cards were a 6 month old secured cap one card ($700) and 5 month old Walmart ($400) and Amazon ($1,100) store cards.    My income is 42K.   4 inquiries.  1% utilization.   AND a 5 year old collection for $450.

They approved me instantly with a CL of $12,500.

One week later,  I was feeling courageous, and applied for an Amex Blue Sky.   New Experian pull, now 6 inquiries, and Ex score of  751.

approved instantly with a CL of $15,000.

I can only assume they didn't mind the thin file, and based the approval solely on the exp score and income.

Obviously, YMMV, but I think it's worth a single hard pull.   Just check your Exp score here on MyFico first!

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I actually agree with Capya.  I would also try Compass Bank, they seem to be generous with credit limits.  I did not have the best score, about 700 at the time, and they gave me $8,000.  It was a preapproval from them though and I think they do actually do preapprovals the right way, by looking at you credit first.  Some companies seem to offer you a preapproval because you have a subscription to the Wall Street Journal or other such silliness.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@haroony wrote:

and reward cards.

(s)= secured card

I don't think this is such an impossible quest, due to the 6 year Macys account and an Equifax score of 754. Start with the people you've already had dealings with. Discover and US Bank.

First call Discover and mention that you heard they have a new policy where it is possible to get a credit increase after only 3 months. Mention your 754 Equfax score, and explain why you need a $10,000 credit limit. You just might get it. They also have a Miles card, if those types of rewards interest you.

After that, I would walk into a US Bank office and have a chat about this. Request the Cash+ card, its their best cash back card and if their computer rejects your application you get the Cash Rewards card which gives 1% cash back, and which can be converted to the Cash+ in as early as 6 months. Cash+ has 5% cashback categories that you get to choose every 3 months. Then ask about getting another card with travel rewards.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 10
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend you apply for BCP. I also got approved yesterday. My oldest account is 8 months old and Aaoa is 3 months. I got approved for 2000. You have a good shot. If you get approved then wait for 61 days and apply for 3x cli on Amex card and let it report on your credit reports. After that you would be golden for most credit card issuers.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 7 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@haroony wrote:

Number of card and limits seem pretty ambitious to me with your thin file.  I'd suggest focusing and narrowing it down to 1 or 2.

@haroony wrote:

For what categories?  Do AF's matter?  If you want recommendations then give people something to work with.

Message 8 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP, wanted a spree of 6-8 new TLs with CL's of $15-30k, I'm sorry but I can't see that happening even with a 754 EQ. OP should try for an Amex, chances of the CL eventually getting to the figure mentioned are within the realm of possibility - again not on the first approval.

So, if we are then looking at 6-8 new TLs that equal the amount needed- I'd suggest a combination of CLI's and with new apps .

Good luck, that's a lot if new cc's on a thin file.
Message 9 of 10
USF813
Frequent Contributor

You don't need to app for a prime card when you already have a BofA (a prime lender) secured card that's going to be a year old in three months. At one year, call them and see about graduating to an unsecured card.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.