Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Scam/Phishing] capitalone@email.capitalone.com

tag
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

Re: [Possible Scam/Phishing] capitalone@email.capitalone.com

Thanks everybody for the reassurance that it's a real e-mail from CapitalOne and the advice for any future emails.

I just think that it is pretty weird that CapitalOne would use a third-party service for denial letters instead of uploading it theirselves onto our online accounts (I do not have any new messages or documents in my CapitalOne account).

Message 11 of 15
core
Valued Contributor

@lordAventador wrote:

I just think that it is pretty weird that CapitalOne would use a third-party service for denial letters instead of uploading it theirselves onto our online accounts (I do not have any new messages or documents in my CapitalOne account).

What is 3rd party about capitalone@email.capitalone.com?  <--  Seriously, what is wrong with that address??

And a new applicant does not have a CapitalOne.com account so that is non sequitur.  It is perfectly reasonable for them to do what they did.  The email address they used was also professional. 

I do not see any issue here.  I'm a C1 hater but this is reaching.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Op when in doubt copy or copy short cut by right clicking and open a notepad and paste if you have doubts about it just call or go to capital one website yourself and let them know.
Message 13 of 15
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@core wrote:

@lordAventador wrote:

What is 3rd party about capitalone@email.capitalone.com?  <--  Seriously, what is wrong with that address??

And a new applicant does not have a CapitalOne.com account so that is non sequitur.  It is perfectly reasonable for them to do what they did.  The email address they used was also professional. 

I do not see any issue here.  I'm a C1 hater but this is reaching.

The email address used is not what I meant by third-party services.

• The hyperlink entitled, "You can access your letter," does not lead to the CapitalOne website, a CapitalOne domain, a CapitalOne sub-domain, or my CapitalOne account. It leads to a third-party website.
  • The denial letter is not uploaded to a CapitalOne website, a CapitalOne domain, a CapitalOne sub-domain, or my CapitalOne account. It leads to a third-party server that hosts the denial letter.
  • The password to access the denial letter asks for the last four digits of my SSN, birthdate, and zipcode instead of my usual CapitalOne online account password.

• A CapitalOne Chat CSR and CapitalOne Phone CSR had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them about sending me denial letters online. They both said CapitalOne only sends denial letters by mail and that I should forward the email I got to abuse@capitalone.com

I'm not a new CapitalOne applicant. I've been a CapitalOne credit card holder for 5+ years and have had an online account for that entire time.

So, as you absorb my above four points and the fact that the denial letter was sent to me via a third-party service instead of uploading it on CapitalOne's main website, I hope you can understand why I thought this was a phishing attack or scam. I don't think I was reaching at all.

And the email looking professional doesn't really matter. I can recreate that entire email in 30 minutes using MS Paint and MS Word. 15 minutes if I used Photoshop.

Edit: formatting

Message 14 of 15
core
Valued Contributor

"Lord" Aventar-  I have read your complaint, and I know you've been sworn in.   I did read your post 5x+ and I think I got it.  No need to "absorb".

The first 3 bullet points I can strike just as general business practice.  The 4th bullet point refers to a CSR who is clueless.  Well who hasn't had one of those??

You did provide more info after that which was more useful.  But I was just recently denied by CapOne in the same way so don't feel bad.  They can't be bothered to send denials to current customers' accounts, they just handle it like usual.  And _this_ is usual.  This is just CapOne (and many others), sorry sir.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.