Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Scam/Phishing] capitalone@email.capitalone.com

tag
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

[Possible Scam/Phishing] capitalone@email.capitalone.com

I just received this e-mail from the email address: capitalone@email.capitalone.com

I applied for a CapitalOne VentureOne credit card last night and was denied (another story for another day, will try to recon once I get the letter).

I stupidly clicked the link and "logged in" the third party site because I was anxious to see why I was denied. I tried downloading the Application Rejection Letter and instead of it being in .pdf file, it was a .aspx file. I thought that was weird. Then went back to the original email and realized what type of password they required of me. How stupid of me.

I've already ran MalwareBytes on my computer and it didn't pick up any malware, etc. I already have a full account with myFICO which includes identity monitoring and myFICO/Credit Karma is pretty good about letting me know whenever an inquiry hits my credipt reports.

But since this website now has thet last four of my SSN, birthdate, zipcode, and email - How screwed am I, identity-theft wise?

Anybody else here ever receive an email from capitalone@email.capitalone.com? I've already forwarded the email to abuse@capitalone.com.

Capture.PNG

Edit: Fixed image.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
msbia
Established Contributor

Re: [Possible Scam/Phishing] capitalone@email.capitalone.com

OP, I have logged into Capital One for letters like that before. I can't be certain about yours though so you did the right thing in the short term. 

Just a note: is that your actual email address at the bottom of the letter? If so, please edit that out! 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay away from the sites that have "visit" in them. They are not secure sites. Everything secured will have an HTTPS:// versus HTTP:// 

Last time I made the mistake of trying to log in a site that had visit in the address, I found it did not have a valid security certificate.

Message 3 of 15
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@msbia wrote:

OP, I have logged into Capital One for letters like that before. I can't be certain about yours though so you did the right thing in the short term. 

Just a note: is that your actual email address at the bottom of the letter? If so, please edit that out! 

Thanks for the heads up. Can't believe I missed that at the bottom.

I did a search for that email in this forum and saw this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Is-this-a-real-capital-one-email/td-p/38688...

Multiple users are claiming that the email address is legit and that CapitalOne uses a third-party for letter-forwarding services. That doesn't make any sense to me though since CapitalOne can upload their own documents into our online accounts?

Message 4 of 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@lordAventador wrote:

I just received this e-mail from the email address: capitalone@email.capitalone.com

I applied for a CapitalOne VentureOne credit card last night and was denied (another story for another day, will try to recon once I get the letter).

I stupidly clicked the link and "logged in" the third party site because I was anxious to see why I was denied. I tried downloading the Application Rejection Letter and instead of it being in .pdf file, it was a .aspx file. I thought that was weird. Then went back to the original email and realized what type of password they required of me. How stupid of me.

I've already ran MalwareBytes on my computer and it didn't pick up any malware, etc. I already have a full account with myFICO which includes identity monitoring and myFICO/Credit Karma is pretty good about letting me know whenever an inquiry hits my credipt reports.

But since this website now has thet last four of my SSN, birthdate, zipcode, and email - How screwed am I, identity-theft wise?

Anybody else here ever receive an email from capitalone@email.capitalone.com? I've already forwarded the email to abuse@capitalone.com.

Capture.PNG

Edit: Fixed image.

Same denial letter I got.  Since I can check actual email addresses, if it came from cap one, is good.

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received that as well but it is not a scam or phishing. It is ligit. when you click on the letter view it leads to you a pdf.aspx which don't actually download just loads up in another tab using adobe reader plug in. Why I know its real because it matches the same Ietter i received in the mail. You can save the link and use it for later if you apply for Cap One the user id and password is always the same to you Smiley Happy Hope that helps.

Message 6 of 15
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen that letter a time or 3 in my life and they were legit.  I will say though that my letters have always been in the PDF format...

Message 7 of 15
core
Valued Contributor

As had been said, it's legit.  As for being prompted to save an .aspx file extension rather than pdf:   That happens when the Content-Type header from the server gets scewed up.  Normally the server should include this header and specify pdf or html, but if it's missing due to a "glitch" or misbehaving proxy on your ISP's side, your browser prompts you to save the file and you can't do anything.

Retrying should allow you do download the pdf and see your reasons.

Message 8 of 15
jeffery581
Established Contributor

In the future log into cap one and read your messages that way. More secure. I dont click on anything in an email. the email addy could be a spoofed addy.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've yet to see one that, when you click to see the actual email addy, that it doesn't say 93jfjwk48@gmail.com or captialone@gmail.com

But I'm always wary of giving any info over the Internet unless I'm the one that is soliciting for it.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.