Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,914
Registered: ‎07-17-2014

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

[ Edited ]

red259 wrote:

 Anyone who is in the travel game knows that people tend to stick with chase for years because of their bonus category structure.


Two things: first, it's that "travel game" (specifically the gaming part) that Chase, and the credit card industry at large, is trying to cool, in my observation. Second, nothing is happening to the actual categories, just to the ability to transfer. I don't think most people stick with Chase because of the ability to transfer between cards, and to the extent it does, I imagine Chase is happy to get rid of those customers. Maybe not every single one, but as a group and in general, it is probably one of their goals.

 


red259 wrote:

 There is a whole group of people who spend a lot with chase because of their reward structure and not all those people are redeeming awards at over 1.5 cents per point. Some are redeeming at a lower rate. In terms of not having anywhere to go that just is not true. Amex has multiple options that would be way more appealing than chase if they did such a move. 


If there are people who spend a whole lot of money with Chase and don't redeem at a 1.5x rate, then they are presumably not rewards-maximizers and won't mind cashback rewards being cashed at face value.

 

Lastly, I am not saying that individual customers won't have anywhere to go. And frankly, a customer *should* go with whichever lender best serves them. What I am saying is that Chase is making the calculation that by and large, losing the competitive edge that this transferability provides won't lose them that many customers overall. Because no one else offers that level of transferability. The only non-AF Amex, for example, that earns MR points is the ED, and it only has a 2x bonus on supermarkets. No other lender allows you to 5x points on a non-AF card AND move those points to an AF cards with the ability to cash them at 1.5 cents each.

 

So if Chase  gives up that advantage, individual consumers may well find a different combination on a different network better for them. The question is how many customers, and what these customers - as a group, not individually - represent to Chase in terms of the ratio of loss of swipe revenue vs. gain on having to pay out less in rewawrds. Chase's calculation seems to be that said balance tips in its favor.

Super Contributor
Posts: 6,073
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program


mongstradamus wrote:

This is very concerning news I was actually about to downgrade my ink plus to ink cash, lucky  I didn't or i would have lost a lot of potential points there. I guess I should think about transferring my freedom UR to my CSR now.

 

Edit: I really have to think about UR program in general if I may be want to just concentrate on accuruig MR instead. With UAL points nerf, well its a nerf to me because i usually use them to fly to asia and now they are increasing amount of points reuqred again. Its not neccesarily an UR nerf but it makes using UR a lot more difficult for me. Who knows maybe will just use UR for hyatt now instead. I really should do more research on Plat vs CSR before this change goes into affect


We don't know if any change is going into effect. Again this is just a survey so I wouldn't be making drastic moves yet. That being said isn't korean air still a viable option especially when it comes to flights to asia? I don't know a lot about the program but I always heard decent things. I have usually used my URs for hyatt redemptions. Since the hyatt deval though I have found it a poor return except when I couple the redemption with a discount on the points needed due to having the hyatt card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 826 4/16/17, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Contributor
Posts: 88
Registered: ‎01-17-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

This makes me nervous about my plans to go for the trifecta.  Just glad I'm aware.


Starting Scores: TU 724 | EX 719 | EQ 718
Current Scores: TU 751 | EX 752 | EQ 773
Super Contributor
Posts: 9,693
Registered: ‎06-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program


red259 wrote:

mongstradamus wrote:

This is very concerning news I was actually about to downgrade my ink plus to ink cash, lucky  I didn't or i would have lost a lot of potential points there. I guess I should think about transferring my freedom UR to my CSR now.

 

Edit: I really have to think about UR program in general if I may be want to just concentrate on accuruig MR instead. With UAL points nerf, well its a nerf to me because i usually use them to fly to asia and now they are increasing amount of points reuqred again. Its not neccesarily an UR nerf but it makes using UR a lot more difficult for me. Who knows maybe will just use UR for hyatt now instead. I really should do more research on Plat vs CSR before this change goes into affect


We don't know if any change is going into effect. Again this is just a survey so I wouldn't be making drastic moves yet. That being said isn't korean air still a viable option especially when it comes to flights to asia? I don't know a lot about the program but I always heard decent things. I have usually used my URs for hyatt redemptions. Since the hyatt deval though I have found it a poor return except when I couple the redemption with a discount on the points needed due to having the hyatt card. 


Decent but I rather fly sq especially when they have jfk-sin direct that's supposed to start next year sometime. Also if virgin Atlantic to Ana for like  120k rt first class is still available I would do that. The issue is chase isn't the only one with those partners mr and typ are partners with both, so what advantage does ur have over mr and typ for me?

 

i just transferred over my freedom ur to csr there is no harm in doing it now ,even if nothing happens with freedom. Thank goodness for me being lazy and procrastinating or I would have transferred my ink plus to ink cash . I am going to hold off on that decision for a bit.



EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Super Contributor
Posts: 9,693
Registered: ‎06-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program


VapeDaddy wrote:

This makes me nervous about my plans to go for the trifecta.  Just glad I'm aware.


I would just be cautious but nothing is official quite yet . Last week was just thinking about my ink plus and pc'ing to ink cash going to hold off on that for now 



EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Super Contributor
Posts: 6,073
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program


mongstradamus wrote:

red259 wrote:

mongstradamus wrote:

This is very concerning news I was actually about to downgrade my ink plus to ink cash, lucky  I didn't or i would have lost a lot of potential points there. I guess I should think about transferring my freedom UR to my CSR now.

 

Edit: I really have to think about UR program in general if I may be want to just concentrate on accuruig MR instead. With UAL points nerf, well its a nerf to me because i usually use them to fly to asia and now they are increasing amount of points reuqred again. Its not neccesarily an UR nerf but it makes using UR a lot more difficult for me. Who knows maybe will just use UR for hyatt now instead. I really should do more research on Plat vs CSR before this change goes into affect


We don't know if any change is going into effect. Again this is just a survey so I wouldn't be making drastic moves yet. That being said isn't korean air still a viable option especially when it comes to flights to asia? I don't know a lot about the program but I always heard decent things. I have usually used my URs for hyatt redemptions. Since the hyatt deval though I have found it a poor return except when I couple the redemption with a discount on the points needed due to having the hyatt card. 


Decent but I rather fly sq especially when they have jfk-sin direct that's supposed to start next year sometime. Also if virgin Atlantic to Ana for like  120k rt first class is still available I would do that. The issue is chase isn't the only one with those partners mr and typ are partners with both, so what advantage does ur have over mr and typ for me?

 

i just transferred over my freedom ur to csr there is no harm in doing it now ,even if nothing happens with freedom. Thank goodness for me being lazy and procrastinating or I would have transferred my ink plus to ink cash . I am going to hold off on that decision for a bit.


I heard that the jfk-sin direct won't offer suites class. Dunno how true that is. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 826 4/16/17, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Regular Contributor
Posts: 228
Registered: ‎04-14-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

If this happens, I'll get rid of my chase trifecta and go back to just using my capital one venture or go the MR points route.

I can only hope and pray that Chase doesn't shoot themselves in the foot like this... They would lose soooooooo much business IMO.

Cheers!
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
784 INQs: 3
792 INQs: 4
784 INQs: 9
Total Credit Line: $176,100 Total CC's: 10
Super Contributor
Posts: 9,693
Registered: ‎06-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program


red259 wrote:

mongstradamus wrote:

red259 wrote:

mongstradamus wrote:

This is very concerning news I was actually about to downgrade my ink plus to ink cash, lucky  I didn't or i would have lost a lot of potential points there. I guess I should think about transferring my freedom UR to my CSR now.

 

Edit: I really have to think about UR program in general if I may be want to just concentrate on accuruig MR instead. With UAL points nerf, well its a nerf to me because i usually use them to fly to asia and now they are increasing amount of points reuqred again. Its not neccesarily an UR nerf but it makes using UR a lot more difficult for me. Who knows maybe will just use UR for hyatt now instead. I really should do more research on Plat vs CSR before this change goes into affect


We don't know if any change is going into effect. Again this is just a survey so I wouldn't be making drastic moves yet. That being said isn't korean air still a viable option especially when it comes to flights to asia? I don't know a lot about the program but I always heard decent things. I have usually used my URs for hyatt redemptions. Since the hyatt deval though I have found it a poor return except when I couple the redemption with a discount on the points needed due to having the hyatt card. 


Decent but I rather fly sq especially when they have jfk-sin direct that's supposed to start next year sometime. Also if virgin Atlantic to Ana for like  120k rt first class is still available I would do that. The issue is chase isn't the only one with those partners mr and typ are partners with both, so what advantage does ur have over mr and typ for me?

 

i just transferred over my freedom ur to csr there is no harm in doing it now ,even if nothing happens with freedom. Thank goodness for me being lazy and procrastinating or I would have transferred my ink plus to ink cash . I am going to hold off on that decision for a bit.


I heard that the jfk-sin direct won't offer suites class. Dunno how true that is. 


I am fine with business so not huge deal. I am actually looking at ana via Virgin Atlantic 200k rt to Thailand sounds intriguing in first



EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,352
Registered: ‎11-12-2014
0 Kudos

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

To me it seems like something that is only a matter of time. Allowing people to earn 5x on Freedom and  then transfer it over to the premium cards was always a losing proposition for Chase.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,765
Registered: ‎04-08-2015

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

[ Edited ]

I intentionally passed on getting the CSR and the "trifecta" even when they were at the zenith of their popularity, and this new rewards program change only makes me more glad that I did.

** BEFCU Platinum Plus VISA @ 5.49% F, $4k ** Unify FCU Variable-Rate VISA Gold @ 5.99% V, $5k ** FNBO Amex @ 7.25% V, $20k ** PACU Premier Privileges Rewards MC @ 7.50% F, $20k ** Barclay Ring @ 9.00% V, $1.9k ** Unify FCU Fixed-Rate VISA Platinum @ 8.99% F, $15k ** BoA Cash Rewards WMC @ 9.99% F, $11.1k ** Citi DC WMC @ 10.24% V, $17.82k ** BoA Travel Rewards VS @ 10.24% V; $8.4k ** Cap1 No Hassle Miles Ultra Platinum MC @ 10.90% V, $2.5k ** Discover IT @ 10.99% V, $17.4k ** FNBO BucksBack VS @ 12.00% V, $20k ** BBR(x2) @ 12.99% V, $12k ** US Bank Cash+(x2) @ 15.99% V, TBA ** Citi DP VISA @ 15.99% V, $8.1k ** FNBO Amex TravElite @ 16.74% V, $15k ** Blispay @ 19.99% F, $5k ** Cap1 BuyPower WEMC @ 20.90% V, $6.25k **

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.