Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

At the end of the day, we all use cards differently based on our own life style.

If it doesnt work for some and does for others, is their own opinion.

You never know what Chase has under their sleeve.  We will just have to wait and see :-)

Message 71 of 81
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In two other discussion boards (Doctor of Credit and FlyerTalk), the view has been expressed that Chase is using the $.015 travel portal redemptions as a stalking horse and that a more important, but unstated, part of the devaluation would be to also eliminate or devalue the transfer of UR points earned on no-fee cards to Chase's partner airline and hotel loyalty programs.  If you follow the point valuations of The Points Guy, One Mile at a Time, or The View from the Wing, their UR values are all higher than $.015 because of these transfers.

I've seen those discussions and I find it extremely unlikely that Chase would severely devalue or eliminate the transfer or UR points to hotel/airline partners.  If they did so they would kill the draw of almost all of their travel credit cards.  It's the nature of discussion boards to forecast worst case scenarios.

Not sure I understand your point about killing the draw.  The thought is that Chase would devalue or eliminate the transfer of UR points earned on Freedom and Freedom Unlimited to airline and hotel programs, with no change to the transfer of UR points earned on Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve.  How would that kill the draw of Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 72 of 81
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Not sure I understand your point about killing the draw.  The thought is that Chase would devalue or eliminate the transfer of UR points earned on Freedom and Freedom Unlimited to airline and hotel programs, with no change to the transfer of UR points earned on Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve.  How would that kill the draw of Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve?

Because one of the big reasons for the UR scheme being so popular is the ability to transfer points from the Freedom cards to the Sapphire cards and use them as air and hotel loyalty points.  The Freedom cards allow you to earn points at a much faster rate than with just the CSP/CSR by themselves.  Removing this feature may not completely kill the draw, but it puts them at a somewhat more level playing field with the likes of Citi, where you can have free and fee cards that collect points but some points are more useful than others.

Message 73 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In two other discussion boards (Doctor of Credit and FlyerTalk), the view has been expressed that Chase is using the $.015 travel portal redemptions as a stalking horse and that a more important, but unstated, part of the devaluation would be to also eliminate or devalue the transfer of UR points earned on no-fee cards to Chase's partner airline and hotel loyalty programs.  If you follow the point valuations of The Points Guy, One Mile at a Time, or The View from the Wing, their UR values are all higher than $.015 because of these transfers.

I've seen those discussions and I find it extremely unlikely that Chase would severely devalue or eliminate the transfer or UR points to hotel/airline partners.  If they did so they would kill the draw of almost all of their travel credit cards.  It's the nature of discussion boards to forecast worst case scenarios.

Well it would kill the freedom unlimited that is for sure. I mean why would anyone ever use that card to get 1.5% back when you can use a 2% cashback card. In terms of the CSP and CSR it can harm those as well. for certain people. If someone has a lot of restaurant and/or travel spend then the CSR can still hold value. However, if there are people who do not spend a lot on travel and do not eat out often they may very well start looking at other programs where they can earn more points across all their spend. No matter how you cut it taking away the transfer ability of cards like the freedom into the same pool of points as the CSR will diminish the value. People will still churn those cards for signup but I think they will certainly take a hit in terms of getting long term spend on the cards once the signups are complete. Amex or Citi could simply up their game on the plat or prestige cards nd the gap in difference between the cards will narrow a lot. I like chase but in terms of cash back cards they are not even close to being one of the better lenders. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 74 of 81
xgac12x
Established Contributor

What would you do if Chase made a HUGE change

I've heard (im sure it wont happen) that Chase put up a survey to basically kill their credit card business as a whole, by taking away the feature to combine points to your CSP/CSR from Freedom/Freedom Unlimited. 

Right now I carry the CSR, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. 

If this were to happen (I'm sure it won't), what cards would you use? I would proabbly do SPG and CSR for bonus spend. Any others disagree?

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 75 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What would you do if Chase made a HUGE change

@xgac12x wrote:

I've heard (im sure it wont happen) that Chase put up a survey to basically kill their credit card business as a whole, by taking away the feature to combine points to your CSP/CSR from Freedom/Freedom Unlimited. 

If this were to happen (I'm sure it won't), what cards would you use? I would proabbly do SPG and CSR for bonus spend. Any others disagree?

This was discussed quite a bit back in July when the survey came out so you might want to review that thread.

Message 76 of 81
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:

I currently only have the Hyatt, after closing the FU and CSP within' the past year. So nothing I guess.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 77 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife is at 4/24 so we will probably just get the second Southwest Card for the 60k miles and the companion pass.  Therefore I couldn't care less what they change. I would have liked to have a CSP but the Southwest cards seem like a better deal.  

Message 78 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moved these latest posts here so we don't cover the same ground again in different thread.

Message 79 of 81
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im currently Chasing Navy, Chase can Chase Chase for all i ChareSmiley Wink
Message 80 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.