cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible for me to get approved? Barclay Arrival World MasterCard - Capital One Venture Rewards

tag
Temporary_me

Possible for me to get approved? Barclay Arrival World MasterCard - Capital One Venture Rewards

I'm currently in my senior year of college, 21 years old, and contemplating getting my second credit card. I'll graduate in May 2014 and I'm looking forward to being an avid traveler and wanted my next card to be an all around great rewards card for jetting across the globe. After some research I'd really love to get either the Barclay Arrival World MasterCard or the Capital One Venture Rewards Visa Signature card.

However, I'm new to the credit scene as I largely picked my first card because it was advertised as a "card for students" and gave 2% cash back on all gas purchases and I tend to drive a lot. As such, I don't know if I stand any chance at all of getting approved for either of these cards. The Venture card specifically states on Capital One's website it is intended for "excellent credit" defined as 3 years or more of credit history and a $5,000 credit limit or higher (which I do not meet).

My question to the savvy forum frequenters is whether I stand any chance of getting approved for either of these cards, and what I could do in the short term to possibly increase my odds before applying. I'd love to have either card in the next 1-2 months as I will be spending a significant amount of money on summer travel plans and would love to accumulate miles with these purchases.

My basic information:

Oldest credit history: 2 years 2 months (student loan, subsidized, $5,000, will pay off this coming summer)

*Have been an authorized user on my parents MasterCard as well for the past 3 years

Credit Card (only one I have so far): Discover Card, 1 year, 6 months, $2,500 CL -> Zero late payments, current utilization from last statement is 15%, always pay full balance of statement. CL has been automatically increased from $1,500 to $2,500 since opening

Credit Karma: TransUnion provided estimate of credit score is 723

Also, I'm not sure if this could factor into my approval if I speak with a representative from either company, but I already have accepted a job offer to start after graduation with a salary of $100,000.

Thank you for any and all advice or help!

FICO: 763 (Discover Statement March 2015)
Barclay Arrival (no fee) - $6,300
Discover Open Road - $2,500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Feather_Hat
Established Member

Re: Possible for me to get approved? Barclay Arrival World MasterCard - Capital One Venture Rewards

XD I just apply for the card. dunno if I am approved yet. they gave me 10 day notice thing. I am planning to call their CA later and find out. I'll let u know if I get approved Smiley Happy oh byltw, I have much lower score and short Credit history then u ...
Message 2 of 14
DomoNomo
Contributor

Re: Possible for me to get approved? Barclay Arrival World MasterCard - Capital One Venture Rewards

Try these link out to see if you pre-qualify for any of their offers.  Not that it's a guarantee, but it can help with your decision.  Good Luck!

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/ProactivePrescreenLanding.action

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_QUICK_V01.aspx

Message 3 of 14
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

you may get the arrival, just not as a world card but you will still get the bonus miles. good luck

Message 4 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@wagsk1 wrote:

you may get the arrival, just not as a world card but you will still get the bonus miles. good luck

Why specifically do you want this card? Why not try for CSP or something else? Just curious -- this has a very specific way to redeem the rewards for max of 444 dollars sign up bonus -- and it's only travel. Are you planning a flight? The reason why I ask is because the bonus sometimes can be very enticing and I just wanted to make sure you knew it was for travel -- otherwise it's much less like 200, I believe.

I can't speak for your chances of approval - either way,  good luck.

Message 5 of 14
Temporary_me

This summer I will be spending several thousand on flights. Also, I will be moving out of state from where all my family is so will have at least several flights back a year to redeem my rewards on. This should easily eat up all of my annual rewards. I know there are some better deals on airline specific CC, however, their programs are often much more complicated and then limit my flights to their airline and partners.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does CSP stand for?

Message 6 of 14
DomoNomo
Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 7 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Temporary_me wrote:

This summer I will be spending several thousand on flights. Also, I will be moving out of state from where all my family is so will have at least several flights back a year to redeem my rewards on. This should easily eat up all of my annual rewards. I know there are some better deals on airline specific CC, however, their programs are often much more complicated and then limit my flights to their airline and partners.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does CSP stand for?

CSP = Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

While anything is "possible", it;s is unlikely that you may get approved for the WMC or Visa Signature version of either card.  At best, based on the limited information provided, you may get approved for their standard Arrival Platinum MC.  If your interest still hovers with Capital One, then as the other poster suggested, check to see if any pre-qualified offers pop up. 

The CSP comes with a $95 AF, and based on the limited credit history cited, it's borderline chances at best.

Message 9 of 14
Temporary_me

Thank you! Showed pre-approval for the Venture, but only the normal Arrival (20k miles, no annual fee version) was pre-approved!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.