cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible three hard pulls in one day for CLI request?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible three hard pulls in one day for CLI request?

I recently wanted to get a CLI from my Capital One card because I will be purchasing some items and the $500 limit I currently have just doesn't cut it. I have had the card since October. So I went on my account and called the number under contact us on Capital One's site. I got an automated system and eventually got to the CLI request and was instantly denied. After I went on the forums here and tried one of the backdoor numbers and got the same automated thing and got denied again. So after I tried another backdoor number and got a person who eventually told me that my account will be reviewed and I should receive a letter about the status of my request. Some days later I get three letters in the mail, all stating that my request to increase my limit has been denied because of short account history with Capital One. At the bottom it says that my credit report may in full or in part play a role in the decion.

To sum this up....

Does Capital One do hard pulls when you request a CLI?

&

Is it possible they did three hard pulls because I called three times in one day?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible three hard pulls in one day for CLI request?

I have requested a CLI from them but only after talking with a rep and confirming that it would be a soft pull.  I don't know if their automated system operates any differently. 

You could confirm by checking your reports.  If you didn't want to pay for a report, didn't have any free ones left through annualcreditreport.com or some other free trial service you could sign up for, and don't have a credit monitoring service, I think you'd be able to see the inquiries if you created a Credit Karma account. If I remember correctly, CK pulls your TU report.  It doesn't let you see the actual inquiries, but it would tell you how many were on the report.  If  you know how many you had before you did this, you could tell if your report was pulled.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

It may depend on the reason for denial.  My experience has alsway been something to the fact that the account type is not eligible for CLI's.  Never a soft or hard pull, just instant denial.  Get the same run around from the CSR's and backdoor CSR's.

I've had one account since 2002 with the same $2300 limit that it was issued with and another issued in 2005 with a $750 limit.   No annual fees on either one and if they decide to add one I'm closing them both.

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I did a request on a business account couple weeks ago and got the denial letter showing all 3 reports pulled... I didn't pull any reports to verify but I think it's just referring to info they already have... either way they are terrible in my book now.... 10 years ago they were fantastic! They have now joined Household bank in there terrible policies of growing with their customers.

Message 4 of 5
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

I have requested a CLI from them but only after talking with a rep and confirming that it would be a soft pull.  I don't know if their automated system operates any differently. 

You could confirm by checking your reports.  If you didn't want to pay for a report, didn't have any free ones left through annualcreditreport.com or some other free trial service you could sign up for, and don't have a credit monitoring service, I think you'd be able to see the inquiries if you created a Credit Karma account. If I remember correctly, CK pulls your TU report.  It doesn't let you see the actual inquiries, but it would tell you how many were on the report.  If  you know how many you had before you did this, you could tell if your report was pulled.

It's soft on the automated system, as well. No hard pulls.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.