Reply
New Member
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-07-2012
0

Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?

[ Edited ]

Has anyone had any success in getting Citi to change their card from Visa to MC or MC to Visa? I don't have a MasterCard and so I wanted to change my ThankYou card to a MC. I also wanted to "upgrade" (I don't see any difference) to preferred. The customer service person put me on hold and asked his supervisor and he told me that I would need to re-apply to get the preferred card (again, I don't see the difference...I just asked to switch out of curiosity) and I was also told that I would be unable to change my current ThankYou card from Visa to MC. I've read in other posts that other banks, like Chase, will change payment processors upon request. 

 

Thanks :smileyhappy:

 

Edit: I just did some searching and I now see that the preferred is apparently for people approved with a 5k or above limit?

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 408
Registered: ‎10-10-2012
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?


bamboo2 wrote:

Has anyone had any success in getting Citi to change their card from Visa to MC or MC to Visa? I don't have a MasterCard and so I wanted to change my ThankYou card to a MC. I also wanted to "upgrade" (I don't see any difference) to preferred. The customer service person put me on hold and asked his supervisor and he told me that I would need to re-apply to get the preferred card (again, I don't see the difference...I just asked to switch out of curiosity) and I was also told that I would be unable to change my current ThankYou card from Visa to MC. I've read in other posts that other banks, like Chase, will change payment processors upon request. 

 

Thanks :smileyhappy:

 

Edit: I just did some searching and I now see that the preferred is apparently for people approved with a 5k or above limit?


 

I am a little confused myself.  I just got the ThankYou Preferred card.  The Citi website advertises a Visa card.  However, I received a World Mastercard.  Notably, I have also read several posts which suggests that some people have a World Elite Mastercard.  

 

Does anyone know if there are any advantages or disadvantages of Visa vs. Mastercard and World Mastercard and Elite Mastercard?

Established Contributor
Posts: 541
Registered: ‎03-21-2012
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?

Visa and Master is pretty much just that, different payment processing networks. Within each are tiers of cards with different perks.

 

 

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html

 

http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card.html

 

 

There are some of the differences. Some VS / WEMC  you can apply for, others they will upgrade you over time and/or per your request. 

7/11/14 EX 764 - EQ 756 - TU 783 -- (myFico) | 02/14/15 TU 797 (Barclay) | 01/10/15 EX 781 (FNBO) | Mouseover for CLs

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 408
Registered: ‎10-10-2012
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?


vpae wrote:

Visa and Master is pretty much just that, different payment processing networks. Within each are tiers of cards with different perks.

 

 

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html

 

http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card.html

 

 

There are some of the differences. Some VS / WEMC  you can apply for, others they will upgrade you over time and/or per your request. 


Thanks for the info.  Hum, I am now considering contacting Citi to ask if I can have the World Elite version.  I already have a Visa Signature from Bank of America.

Super Contributor
Posts: 10,312
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?


bamboo2 wrote:

Has anyone had any success in getting Citi to change their card from Visa to MC or MC to Visa? I don't have a MasterCard and so I wanted to change my ThankYou card to a MC. I also wanted to "upgrade" (I don't see any difference) to preferred. The customer service person put me on hold and asked his supervisor and he told me that I would need to re-apply to get the preferred card (again, I don't see the difference...I just asked to switch out of curiosity) and I was also told that I would be unable to change my current ThankYou card from Visa to MC. I've read in other posts that other banks, like Chase, will change payment processors upon request. 

 

Thanks :smileyhappy:

 

Edit: I just did some searching and I now see that the preferred is apparently for people approved with a 5k or above limit?


The major difference, which is just one of the Sig/World features is that the Preferred has a no preset spending limit.   This might be valuable or valueless to you!

 

But something I don't is about TY redemption.   For many redemptions (e.g. for gift cards under $100) the Citi Forward requires more TY points than the Preferred does.  Not sure if the TY Card is like that.   How many points does it take to get a $50 gift card to Staples for example?

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 418
Registered: ‎11-25-2012
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?


longtimelurker wrote:

bamboo2 wrote:

Has anyone had any success in getting Citi to change their card from Visa to MC or MC to Visa? I don't have a MasterCard and so I wanted to change my ThankYou card to a MC. I also wanted to "upgrade" (I don't see any difference) to preferred. The customer service person put me on hold and asked his supervisor and he told me that I would need to re-apply to get the preferred card (again, I don't see the difference...I just asked to switch out of curiosity) and I was also told that I would be unable to change my current ThankYou card from Visa to MC. I've read in other posts that other banks, like Chase, will change payment processors upon request. 

 

Thanks :smileyhappy:

 

Edit: I just did some searching and I now see that the preferred is apparently for people approved with a 5k or above limit?


The major difference, which is just one of the Sig/World features is that the Preferred has a no preset spending limit.   This might be valuable or valueless to you!

 

But something I don't is about TY redemption.   For many redemptions (e.g. for gift cards under $100) the Citi Forward requires more TY points than the Preferred does.  Not sure if the TY Card is like that.   How many points does it take to get a $50 gift card to Staples for example?


AFAIK, the Thank You Preferred gets 1:1 redemption on gift cards, so it would be 5,000 points for the $50 GC vs 6,500 points using the Forward.  Having both cards makes it easier to rack up points, and then redeem them for a decent value.  That's why I want one (Preferred card) :smileyvery-happy:


The road to 800...
Available credit: $80k+
INQs: 1 TU, 3 EX, 0 EQ
Planned apps: NONE - Gardening indefinitely! - Bronze 5/15/15
On the chopping block for 2015: Gap Silver, Chase Slate
Valued Contributor
Posts: 8,495
Registered: ‎10-21-2012
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?


JAY305 wrote:

vpae wrote:

Visa and Master is pretty much just that, different payment processing networks. Within each are tiers of cards with different perks.

 

 

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/index.html

 

http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card.html

 

 

There are some of the differences. Some VS / WEMC  you can apply for, others they will upgrade you over time and/or per your request. 


Thanks for the info.  Hum, I am now considering contacting Citi to ask if I can have the World Elite version.  I already have a Visa Signature from Bank of America.


AFAIK, the account needs to be open for 12+ months to be considered, and elegible for the WEMC upgrade.

Super Contributor
Posts: 10,312
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?


leoment wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

bamboo2 wrote:

Has anyone had any success in getting Citi to change their card from Visa to MC or MC to Visa? I don't have a MasterCard and so I wanted to change my ThankYou card to a MC. I also wanted to "upgrade" (I don't see any difference) to preferred. The customer service person put me on hold and asked his supervisor and he told me that I would need to re-apply to get the preferred card (again, I don't see the difference...I just asked to switch out of curiosity) and I was also told that I would be unable to change my current ThankYou card from Visa to MC. I've read in other posts that other banks, like Chase, will change payment processors upon request. 

 

Thanks :smileyhappy:

 

Edit: I just did some searching and I now see that the preferred is apparently for people approved with a 5k or above limit?


The major difference, which is just one of the Sig/World features is that the Preferred has a no preset spending limit.   This might be valuable or valueless to you!

 

But something I don't is about TY redemption.   For many redemptions (e.g. for gift cards under $100) the Citi Forward requires more TY points than the Preferred does.  Not sure if the TY Card is like that.   How many points does it take to get a $50 gift card to Staples for example?


AFAIK, the Thank You Preferred gets 1:1 redemption on gift cards, so it would be 5,000 points for the $50 GC vs 6,500 points using the Forward.  Having both cards makes it easier to rack up points, and then redeem them for a decent value.  That's why I want one (Preferred card) :smileyvery-happy:


I know that about the Preferred, I was wondering about the Thank You (i.e. is this another difference between the two cards)

Super Contributor
Posts: 7,132
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?

If you applied for the visa version, you are stuck with the visa version until 12 months is up, or whenever your APR promo period is over.

 

To apply for the MC version, you have to look for those special promotions / links (i.e. that 5X gas, groceries and drug stores offer) with comes in Mastercard variations.

From what I know, there's no difference, other than the payment network itself and the associated perks of each payment network.

 

To qualify for WEMC, you can either:

1. spend a lot to be upgraded (certain forums members were ugpraded after spending >60k over 3 months. Not sure what the exact requirement is)

2. Call CSR / backdoor and request for upgrade. They should upgrade you if you are eligible.

 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 408
Registered: ‎10-10-2012
0

Re: Possible to change ThankYou from Visa to MasterCard?

[ Edited ]

longtimelurker wrote:

leoment wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

bamboo2 wrote:

Has anyone had any success in getting Citi to change their card from Visa to MC or MC to Visa? I don't have a MasterCard and so I wanted to change my ThankYou card to a MC. I also wanted to "upgrade" (I don't see any difference) to preferred. The customer service person put me on hold and asked his supervisor and he told me that I would need to re-apply to get the preferred card (again, I don't see the difference...I just asked to switch out of curiosity) and I was also told that I would be unable to change my current ThankYou card from Visa to MC. I've read in other posts that other banks, like Chase, will change payment processors upon request. 

 

Thanks :smileyhappy:

 

Edit: I just did some searching and I now see that the preferred is apparently for people approved with a 5k or above limit?


The major difference, which is just one of the Sig/World features is that the Preferred has a no preset spending limit.   This might be valuable or valueless to you!

 

But something I don't is about TY redemption.   For many redemptions (e.g. for gift cards under $100) the Citi Forward requires more TY points than the Preferred does.  Not sure if the TY Card is like that.   How many points does it take to get a $50 gift card to Staples for example?


AFAIK, the Thank You Preferred gets 1:1 redemption on gift cards, so it would be 5,000 points for the $50 GC vs 6,500 points using the Forward.  Having both cards makes it easier to rack up points, and then redeem them for a decent value.  That's why I want one (Preferred card) :smileyvery-happy:


I know that about the Preferred, I was wondering about the Thank You (i.e. is this another difference between the two cards)


 

I think the only noticebale difference is the TY Preferred offers a TY bonus in addition to no hard credit line (NPSL).  My revolving credit line is $7.8K on my Preferred card.  However, I can exceed this limit based on historical spending patterns with no penalties.  i.e.  I could possibly charge upto $10K on my Preferred card and I would not have to worry about any overlimit fees etc.  However, the min payment due for my next statement period would be $2.2K or enough to bring my account balance below the revolving credit line.

 

I suppose having the flexibility to exceed your credit line or not having NPSL requires a higher credit score along with other requirements.  If you read the fine print of the Preferred card disclosure, it suggests that if you are not qualified for the Preferred card, then you would be considered for the basic TY card with a higher rate and lower CL.

 

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.