Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get second BOA card?

tag
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Possible to get second BOA card?

I'm very curious if its possible to get a second BOA card?  I'm really intrigued by the susan g komen card, last time I applied for a second card they wanted to split my current CL instead of just giving me a new line and I don't know if there is a way to work around that?

Thoughts?

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Possible to get second BOA card?

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

I'm very curious if its possible to get a second BOA card?  I'm really intrigued by the susan g komen card, last time I applied for a second card they wanted to split my current CL instead of just giving me a new line and I don't know if there is a way to work around that?

Thoughts?

I would get the Fidelity Amex if you are going to get a 2nd BofA Card and yes you can if you qualify.

If they don't think you shoudl have anymore limit then you currently have, it is an option sometimes to use some of your current line to open the 2nd line. I always like this as last resort so that I can still get the 2nd card and work on CLI later vs. getting nothing for the hp.

Message 2 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

BoA is known to rob an existing limit to approve a new app, but generally restores it when you call them out on it. I have 2 BoA cards and would like to add the Merrill+ at some point this year. Goodluck!
Message 3 of 8
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:
BoA is known to rob an existing limit to approve a new app, but generally restores it when you call them out on it. I have 2 BoA cards and would like to add the Merrill+ at some point this year. Goodluck!

Nice.  I want to add Virgin Atlantic this year, too.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 8
G19OD
Contributor

I had the BoA standard student credit card with a limit of $700 for years until I called in and had it PC'ed to a 1-2-3 Cash Rewards with a CLI to $1.9k. Roughly a year later, I applied for the Alaska Airlines Visa and received the "you will hear back in x days" message. I called in and was approved for a $11k Visa Signature with no chat regarding my existing credit.

Granted, the $1.9k is a tiny line and I am sure BoA wanted to compete with my other cards, namely AMEX.

Message 5 of 8
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

Thoughts?

when i got my 2nd BofA card (cash rewards), i got an instant approval visa sig CL of 10k.

my existing BofA gold visa was auto CLI'd at the same time to 9.4k (about a 1k increase, iirc)

so yes, it's possible to have 2 BofA cards, each with its "own" CL.

how long ago was it that you applied for the 2nd card?

are there any differences now to your credit profile, income, etc?

Message 6 of 8
chfenton
Established Member

I have three B of A cards, a Komen for the cure, a Virgin Atlantic, and a cash rewards.  $25K in total lines across the 3, none of which were split to get the next card.

Message 7 of 8
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I've got 2 cards with BOA. I had the cash rewards first and then got a preapproval I could'nt refuse for the travel rewards card. I got them about 15 months apart. It was an instant approval and I switched the limits around because I wanted to.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.