cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to join NFCU? (Deceased Father honorably discharged from Navy)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possible to join NFCU? (Deceased Father honorably discharged from Navy)

@Repo-ed wrote:

Essentially, yes.  But I got into USAA when I was Active-Army, when they had the same requirements as NFCU now.  Now USAA is just a regular bank, for all intensive purposes.

For all intents and purposes. Smiley Tongue
Message 11 of 13
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

Essentially, yes.  But I got into USAA when I was Active-Army, when they had the same requirements as NFCU now.  Now USAA is just a regular bank, for all intensive purposes.

For all intents and purposes. Smiley Tongue

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but I was just about to correct him myself, as well lol. ALOT of people do this, in speech and in grammar. It's all good though.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 12 of 13
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I belong to both USAA and NFCU.  I no longer do business with large national banks.

USAA is a Texas Insurance Cooperative, an odd membership ownership structure that dates back to when they were originally founded to offer car insurance to officers.  So in terms of services offered, customer service etc. they are very much like a credit union.  But the insurance cooperative owns the bank, brokerage company, etc.  That's why they have full membership (now open to anyone honorably discharged and family), and as pointed out banking services for anyone (although some services are offered only to full members).

Credit Unions are non profit, and despised by banks.  At one time the "field of membership" requirement was loosened or removed, some banks sued, and it was reinstated.  It is hard for a CU to change its field of membership, and because of its size NFCU probably would get more scrutiny than others.

Credit Unions (there are national and local), and community banks, especially Mutual type banks owned by their depositors are far better for the consumer, IMHO, than the giant banks.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.