cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to switch bonus offers with Amex BCE?

tag
sarux3
Frequent Contributor

Possible to switch bonus offers with Amex BCE?

I just opened my BCE account a couple weeks ago under the $100 cashback / $500 spend bonus that's being shopped around to all the Costco TE cardholders, but yesterday I got a targeted mailer for $250 cashback / $1000 spend!  Stupid timing... anyway, I got on the phone with customer service to ask about the possibility of trading up to the better bonus offer since I just opened the card.  He said he couldn't do it because the offer is locked to my account when I agreed to the T&Cs, so I asked to speak to a supervisor who basically told me the same thing but said she'd try for me and would get back to me in a week.

I won't be too broken up about missing out on the extra $150 bonus if they can't make it work, but I figured it was worth a shot.  Anyone here have any success getting Amex to trade up on targeted bonus offers?

CH7 Filed Dec 31, 2018; DC Apr 9, 2019
FICO 8 at DC (Apr 15, 2019):
FICO 8 current (June 29, 2022):
Total revolving credit limit: $149,150 Utilization: 9% Inquiries:

Who I've burnt: Amex / Discover / Chase / Wells Fargo / CapOne / Barclays / Citi / DSNB / US Bank / NASA FCU / Apple FCU / Synch / Comenity
Who let me back in: CapOne / Citi (Retail) / DSNB / Synchrony / Comenity
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Possible to switch bonus offers with Amex BCE?

It's probably unlikely that it will happen but you never know. Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is not known to budge when dealing with matching offers. Sorry, I feel your pain!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a mailer for the $250/$1000 as well. I am still deciding if I want to take AMEX up on it. I honestly dont see myself ever using the card after the initial $1000 spend to get the bonus.

Still, it is $250.....

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a mailer for the $250/$1000 as well. I am still deciding if I want to take AMEX up on it. I honestly dont see myself ever using the card after the initial $1000 spend to get the bonus.

Still, it is $250.....

It's $250 in statement credit.  Hopefully, this will post in time to use for your last payment, rather than, like rewards,  the following statement!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.