cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post home closing purchases - best CC? Ideas?

tag
Cubist
New Contributor

Post home closing purchases - best CC? Ideas?

I should be closing on my first home in the next two weeks & I'm going to need to purchase a new washer/ dryer set. I'm looking for opinions on a good card to make home purchases on what would give me a decent CL upfront.

I will NOT be applying for anything until the closing is done & the loan is funded. 

My credit scores are around 700 (EQ a little lower- 675 maybe due to a judgment that is reporting as recently paid)

I have:

Cap One secured card with a $200 limit

Barclay Apple financing Visa $1200 limit

Old Navy card $300 limit 

No car loan, student loans, or other debt.

I'm guessing that my washer & dryer purchase will be around $2500-$2800. We will need a few odd ball things for the yard too Maybe $3500-$4000 CL would be an ideal starting limit. I'd like something that could grow with me too, as once the washer & dryer is paid for I'm sure a project will follow. I have heard Lowes is good with their CLI and I've been getting offers in the mail for Citi Simplicity which appears to offer 0% for 18 months. That sounds nice too. I assume that getting a higher CL might be easier if I were in the store applying for the card with a purchase already ready to go. I'd rather have a good card that I could use anywhere though if I had the choice. I don't want to waste a HP for a $500 limit either.  What exactly is the key to higher CLs? Is it usage on existing cards, income level? I do not charge much on my existing accounts & always pay in full before they report except for a small balance on one of the accounts just to avoid having a 0% utilization rate.

Opinions?

VS- $500, BarclayCard - $1200, Lowes - $5000, Old Navy - $1400, CapOne - $200, Chase Freedom - $1200
Started My credit rebuilding 11/2012 (stating scores in the low/ mid-500s)
Current scores - EQ 690. TU 724, EQ 719
Closed on my first home 7/25/2013!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH MyFico!
Gardening until 3/1/2014
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Post home closing purchases - best CC? Ideas?

@Cubist wrote:

I should be closing on my first home in the next two weeks & I'm going to need to purchase a new washer/ dryer set. I'm looking for opinions on a good card to make home purchases on what would give me a decent CL upfront.

I will NOT be applying for anything until the closing is done & the loan is funded. 

My credit scores are around 700 (EQ a little lower- 675 maybe due to a judgment that is reporting as recently paid)

I have:

Cap One secured card with a $200 limit

Barclay Apple financing Visa $1200 limit

Old Navy card $300 limit 

No car loan, student loans, or other debt.

I'm guessing that my washer & dryer purchase will be around $2500-$2800. We will need a few odd ball things for the yard too Maybe $3500-$4000 CL would be an ideal starting limit. I'd like something that could grow with me too, as once the washer & dryer is paid for I'm sure a project will follow. I have heard Lowes is good with their CLI and I've been getting offers in the mail for Citi Simplicity which appears to offer 0% for 18 months. That sounds nice too. I assume that getting a higher CL might be easier if I were in the store applying for the card with a purchase already ready to go. I'd rather have a good card that I could use anywhere though if I had the choice. I don't want to waste a HP for a $500 limit either.  What exactly is the key to higher CLs? Is it usage on existing cards, income level? I do not charge much on my existing accounts & always pay in full before they report except for a small balance on one of the accounts just to avoid having a 0% utilization rate.

Opinions?

I would go lowes since you already have a relationship with ge. Also I would go for a home depot charge because you don't have that many tradlines. I say what the hell apply online and try it out. Also ge normally will give you more if you call backdoor

Amex Platinum Amex Blue - 30k Chase Freedom - $25k Discover IT 22K Lowes - $24k Citi ThankYou 16k Amex Delta 15k
Home Depot - 18k Bloomingdales - $12k Nordstrom - 8k Saks 6k
Macys 5k Walmart 3k Vic Secret 1.5
Message 2 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'll second Lowes. Not really sure if you need 2 home improvement cc's that a personal choice.

Edit: typo
Message 3 of 4

@09Lexie wrote:
If second Lowes. Not really sure if you need 2 home improvement cc's that a personal choice.

Me personally I would do one project on both, pay them off, get a tradeline reporting, and obtain the interest free financing, and both stores carry different items. I have lowes for 24k and a Home depot 15k and a hd project loan for 35k. (loan is almost paid off from october)

Amex Platinum Amex Blue - 30k Chase Freedom - $25k Discover IT 22K Lowes - $24k Citi ThankYou 16k Amex Delta 15k
Home Depot - 18k Bloomingdales - $12k Nordstrom - 8k Saks 6k
Macys 5k Walmart 3k Vic Secret 1.5
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.