Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential retention offers for citi hilton reserve

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Potential retention offers for citi hilton reserve

I'm going to call in for a citi hilton reserve retention offer. I don't know what they will offer me yet, but I have seen two common offers.

1. Spend 1k in 3 months and get 5k hilton points

2. Spend $750 per month and get 750 HH points for 16 months

Which would you take?  I wouldn't keep the card for more than 12 months no matter what (in six  top seven months I am going to go for a new card to gt signup bonus again) so the most I can gain is 9k miles. I'm leaning towards the 5k offer even though I might spend 10k on the card to get the free night. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
trant3
Established Contributor

Re: Potential retention offers for citi hilton reserve

Kind of off topic from the CIti card but how is the HHonors point redemption? I'm thinkning about accepting Amex's offer to upgrade my HHonors to the Surpass for their 50k points offer, how many/what kind of rooms can I get with that?? P.S. Logically I would take the 750 points for 16 months

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 2 of 4
red259
Super Contributor

@trant3 wrote:

Kind of off topic from the CIti card but how is the HHonors point redemption? I'm thinkning about accepting Amex's offer to upgrade my HHonors to the Surpass for their 50k points offer, how many/what kind of rooms can I get with that?? P.S. Logically I would take the 750 points for 16 months

HH points are not really very good. The valuation is around .04 per point so I'm not super impressed. You would need to search what properties you might want to redeem at to see if the 50k would cover one nights stay. Even their category breakdown is not useful. For example a category 7 property could require 30k points or it could require 60k points. Probably depends on when high season is and all that. In the end I don't really gather HH points but instead focus on the the free weekend night certificates either via a credit card signup or meeting a spending requirement for the year. If you want to redeem for lower level properties then you can get more reasonable redemptions, but for myself I like to target high end properties that I would not normally spend the money on to stay at. Also, you can use points in combination with cash to knock a room price down. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know too. My Hilton has been dormant because I find the points worthless too. Won't PC to anything other than a Hilton card, AT&T connect and Expedia which I don't care for(checked this afternoon). Maybe a retention offer may reinvigorate me to spend on it.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.