Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially Negative Information?!

tag
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Potentially Negative Information?!

The wife misplaced a credit card so we wound up having to call the CC CO. and get them to issue a new card . This morning i pull CCT and they say

Potentially Negative Information
An item is "potentially negative" when a creditor reports that you h...

EXPERIAN
EQUIFAX
TRANSUNION

05/14/2010  

Business Name: HSBC BANK 

Account Status: CARD REPORTED LOST/STOLEN 

Status Date: 04/30/2010 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Re: Potentially Negative Information?!

Is this really looked upon as a negative?  I didnt really think they would do it like this . Close that account ? and then start a whole new account?! Darn card was found a couple days later too Smiley Sad .  I could choke the wife!

Message 2 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

I have had 8 accounts reported as lost/stolen over the last few years.  None were actually lost or stolen. The first few reported that way as part of divorce. Four were defrauded. One was left in a place where I would not be able to get it again for a long period and Amex chose to change the acct # instead of just sending me an additional card.

Each time the notification of "potentially negative information" did not impact my score and had no permanent effect.

Message 3 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

I believe they do this in case any erroneous charges show up on a statement following the incident, so they know you suddenly didn't decide to max out your balance.

I don't think it is harmful, but rather to protect you from any potentially harmful side-effects of a stolen card.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

If it's listed in the potentially negative category on your EX report that's not good.  

Message 5 of 9
Woolfman
Established Contributor

what i posted was from CCT

Message 6 of 9
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

It's a temporary status I think. When I lost my Chase perfect and BoA FR, what they did were:

1/ Frozed the accounts.

2/ Changed the CC numbers.

3/ Issued the new cards.

4/ Report new CC numbers to CRA.

No score drop.

Maybe you just need to wait a month or so for the new CC number to show up in your CR.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 7 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

My BOA card was reported as stolen by BOA.  The account never got listed in the Potentially Negative Category. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!! with the fruad stuff that happened after shutting down those 7 accounts Experian is reporting as negative info even though it says LOST/STOLEN should say IDENTITIY THEFT

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.