Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval letter from Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-Approval letter from Amex

@Anonymous wrote:
Why not just call AMEX and ask them to convert your Delta card that you don't use to a Blue instead?

I don't want to convert. The Amex Skymiles card is one of the joint accounts I hold with my husband. I want the Blue to be in my own name alone. My husband is wonderful but he doesn't seem to think I need a card in my own name and he says that the joint card is just like having credit in my own name anyway. However, I just want a card in my own name and I want to receive a cc bill in my own name and I don't want to always have him see my purchases (not that I'd hide that from him or have to because he isn't like that) but I just want to feel like an adult....LOL.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm a joint owner of both CC accounts I have with my husband NOT an authorized user. I would still just love to have an account with my name only....Does that make sense?

There is nothing wrong with it. But if you want a card just in your name why limit yourself to AMEX just because they sent you some random pre-approval letter?

I'm not limiting myself. I just asked this question about this specific card because this is the letter I received today. I may receive other offers but I wanted to received pre-approved offers first. I haven't even applied through my bank because I just didn't want to be turned down...although there is no reason why I would be turned down.... Anyway...thanks for any help.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores are 720 plus for EQ, EX and TU. Also, what is wrong with Amex Blue? Is it not a good card? Thanks!
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not enough preaching Credit Unions so it seems I've taken up that role. There are some really good credit unions that you can join. If you have a good credit history on your EQ file I'd highly recommend PenFed. Other good CUs that are more lenient towards blemished credit are NASA FCU, Patelco and CCCU.

Being a SAHM and having your OWN AMEX could lead to trouble down the road if AMEX ever decides to F/R you.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I don't have blemished credit. There are no negatives on my reports. What trouble could I be in if Amex decides to do a F/R on me? If I go in using HH income and they know that why would an FR be a bad thing? Also, I won't be at home forever...lol. Our youngest is starting school next year and I'll be back to work then. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, I don't have blemished credit. There are no negatives on my reports. What trouble could I be in if Amex decides to do a F/R on me? If I go in using HH income and they know that why would an FR be a bad thing? Also, I won't be at home forever...lol. Our youngest is starting school next year and I'll be back to work then. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

It sounds like your sold on AMEX, so go for it.

Just being honest on an application doesn't mean successful passing of an F/R. An F/R entails you allowing AMEX to review tax return information that they get from the IRS. If you're comfortable with that then go for it.

I do have an AMEX Blue Cash and use it all the time, I like AMEX - I'm not trying to just push you away from them - though my posts certainly sound that way...
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I'd have a problem with them reviewing our tax forms if they needed to. It's okay. We have nothing to hide from Amex....lol. Also, I'm not sold on Amex...I was just wondering if there was anything bad about the Blue card because in a previous post you made it sound as if there was something wrong with it. I wasn't trying to sound as if I didn't believe you or that I was ignoring your advice. I'm truly appreciate all that you have stated and I'm taking it all into consideration.

Message Edited by indyfree on 10-11-2007 06:40 PM
Message 17 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Both partners in a marriage/ long-term relationship should each have a CC in their own name. Stuff Happens, and it's important to already have an individual credit history going in case of a future split. I don't know which other card OP and her husband jointly have, but if for some reason their joint AmEx gets frozen, and the other card already has a bit of a balance, it would be useful to have a separate card to spread things out (so maybe not another AmEx for the solo card.) Additionally, she is going back to work next year, and now they will have the fun of two sources of income and figuring out what money goes where.

DH has had a Discover in his name only for 18 years, and it never bothered me. I got on as an AU recently to mooch the history, and I will apply for joint if and when I can ever get my scores up above 700. Our goal at that point is to re-do the family budget so that our incomes divide into the yours, mine, and ours pots, and the Discover joint card will be used for expenses that are paid from the ours pot. He has another card in his name that will be used for his stuff, I have mine to be used for my stuff. Since money issues are the number one cause of marital strife, better to split things up a bit, IMO.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got was approved for the card and got a pretty great limit too (a little too high IMO) but I'm responsible. BTW--the cards I have jointly with my husband are a Chase Platinum Mastercard and a American Express Delta Skymiles Gold card. My husband has a regular American Express Gold with his own name...plus a business card in his own name. I do have a credit history of my own...that I established long ago. My credit history is excellent. I also have my own accounts and investments too. I also used to have credit cards in my own name. I had 2 but I closed those cards (before knowing that it wasn't good to close cards) right before I became a SAHM. Now, I have my own card again. Amex is great actually. I don't think I will apply for another card anytime soon. I'll keep this one for a while before getting another one. Thanks for all the advice!

Message Edited by indyfree on 10-20-2007 01:14 PM
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.