Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approvals & Opting-Out

tag
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Pre-Approvals & Opting-Out

I know that when you opt-out, lenders can no longer soft pull your credit report for promotional purposes and send you offers in the mail. Does the opt-out also prevent any offers from showing up if you go to use a certain lender's "Check your offers" type feature on their website?

I'm opted out, because I don't want random unsolicited soft pulls and mail. But, I'd like the option to be able to choose to go to a particular lender and see if they have anything for me. I'm guessing I'm probably out of luck, but was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre-Approvals & Opting-Out

When I was opted out, I still would get offers shoing from current creditors (AMEX). When you got to various other sites (Discover, Cap One, etc), I think you would still be able to get offers because usually you have to fill out a form to identify yourself and authorize the soft pull. However, if you had a freeze on your reports, I don't think you can authorize soft pulls.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Autumnslight wrote:

I know that when you opt-out, lenders can no longer soft pull your credit report for promotional purposes and send you offers in the mail. Does the opt-out also prevent any offers from showing up if you go to use a certain lender's "Check your offers" type feature on their website?

I'm opted out, because I don't want random unsolicited soft pulls and mail. But, I'd like the option to be able to choose to go to a particular lender and see if they have anything for me. I'm guessing I'm probably out of luck, but was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

Good Question...I also want to know.  Does anyone know?

Me:  I am opted out via optoutprescreen, and I am a full usaa member.  

Usaa also has a place under "my profile" where members can optout from their (usaa's) promotional offers/pre-approvals.

I have no open TL with Usaa, but I kinda would like to know if they see me as pre-approval worthy.

I know that optoutprescreen doesn't stop CURRENT lenders from Soft pulling you, but I have no CURRENT (IOW, OPEN) TL's with usaa, so my question is:  if i am opted out via optprescreen, but OPT IN on my Usaa Account, will I be able to get Usaa to soft pull me (if they choose to) with out having any OPEN TL's with them.

Message 3 of 5
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

The way I understand it is this:

If you have any account with a creditor, they can soft pull whenever they feel like it, regardless of whether you're opted out or not. Creditors and banks also have terms in their privacy disclosures that enables them to share your information with 3rd parties. Unless you opt-out of those, you may still get solicitations.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 5
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Current creditors can SP you regardless of being opted out or having your CR frozen. They base offers you might see when you're logged in on your most recent SP and also your history with them. So, opting out will not prevent you from getting those types of offers from your current creditors. But you won't get the typical "pre-approved" promo mailers.

That said, there are posts here from people who have opted out and still receive credit card offers.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.