cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Approved Credit Offers Guaranteed Acceptance?

tag
Ralph1611
Established Member

Pre Approved Credit Offers Guaranteed Acceptance?

I got a Citi Diamond Preferred offer in the mail and i was approved.

My wife tried to apply without the invitation and was denied. A week later she got the same offer I got in the mail, used the invitation code and was approved..... Are you more likely to get approved if you get an offer in the mail...... Nothing new changed on her credit report in that same week.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Pre Approved Credit Offers Guaranteed Acceptance?

I was getting preapproved mail offers for the Diamond anf the TY Preferred for about 5 months. Decided to try for the Diamond to take advantage of their 18 month 0% BT. Denied even with a recon

Reason: Too many new accounts. In their defense. I just got a $28K CL and a $15K LOC and a $35k Car loan. So any creditor would be nervous extending me any more credit.

Message 2 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Ralph1611 wrote:

I got a Citi Diamond Preferred offer in the mail and i was approved.

My wife tried to apply without the invitation and was denied. A week later she got the same offer I got in the mail, used the invitation code and was approved..... Are you more likely to get approved if you get an offer in the mail...... Nothing new changed on her credit report in that same week.

Pre~approvals are not guarantees of approvals ~ your credit will still be pulled and evaluated to make the decision. 

It's odd that they would approve her a week after declining though.   What were their denial reasons the first time ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

pre-approvals are by no means a guarantee, however, it means that they've done a SP on your report, and have a feeling you will probably be accepted. Are your chances higher with a pre-approval mail offer or online check, I think so, but it's not a definite yes. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.