Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Credit Card Act of 09

tag
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Pre-Credit Card Act of 09

Can anyone tell me what things were like before the CC act of 09? I can google but I am more interested in personal encounters and experiences. 

Was income a component of the cc apps? Were 10k limits common for people 18-24? 

I am 18 and back then wasn't really interested in all that. Now I am myFICO in the morning myFICO at work myFICO crackhead.

;D 

Rackham12

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OwNt
New Contributor

Re: Pre-Credit Card Act of 09

Income was always a component of credit card applications. The major difference is that you can't use HHI anymore.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I found the banks were easier to get CLI's from. Of course, I might be thinking about before the economoy melted down and a lot of banks died or got acquired.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 2 of 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

The CARD act tried to prevent abuse that some issuers did to some people.     These included things such as "universal default": if you were late on card X, even if you had a perfect record on card Y, card Y could start charging you a penalty rate.  Of course, if you have several cards and had a balance on each, this could become extremely expensive.

This now isn't allowed, and as you will see with each card, they have to clearly state the penalty rate and how long it can last.

Another practice was the way payments were applied, first to lower rate balances, leaving unpaid portions attracting the highest levels of interest.  This has also been curtailed.

On the income side, the major change is that issuers are meant to make sure that income is sufficient, especially for those under 21.  They need a consigner or proof of income.  That said, both my student daughters have got credit cards from Amex, Capital One and Citi without any verification!

Message 3 of 11
Rackham94
Established Contributor

@OwNt wrote:

Income was always a component of credit card applications. The major difference is that you can't use HHI anymore.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I found the banks were easier to get CLI's from. Of course, I might be thinking about before the economoy melted down and a lot of banks died or got acquired.

HHI?

Head of household income? 

Message 4 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@Rackham94 wrote:

@OwNt wrote:

HHI?

Head of household income? 

Household income. Basically, you could include your spouses income in addition to your own on apps. The card act has attempted to curtail this practice.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 11
Rackham94
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

The CARD act tried to prevent abuse that some issuers did to some people.     These included things such as "universal default": if you were late on card X, even if you had a perfect record on card Y, card Y could start charging you a penalty rate.  Of course, if you have several cards and had a balance on each, this could become extremely expensive.

This now isn't allowed, and as you will see with each card, they have to clearly state the penalty rate and how long it can last.

Another practice was the way payments were applied, first to lower rate balances, leaving unpaid portions attracting the highest levels of interest.  This has also been curtailed.

On the income side, the major change is that issuers are meant to make sure that income is sufficient, especially for those under 21.  They need a consigner or proof of income.  That said, both my student daughters have got credit cards from Amex, Capital One and Citi without any verification!

Put a lot of pressure on creditors to tighten up practices and basically cut off most of their bottom line which is people in debt. I read some terrible things about mostly young people where creditors would line up at College/University (ies) and sign up students on-campus and a lot of them went severely in debt and led to many bad things. 

I am also a student and have not been verified for income except w/ Citi but then again my limits are very very small compared to others.

Message 6 of 11
OwNt
New Contributor

I've never had a problem with credit card companies being present on a college campus. An adult, depending on the state, is either 18 or 19 years of age. They are more than old enough to make their own decisions, which includes the choice to apply for a credit card.

If a student gets into debt, he or she should get a job and pay it off.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 7 of 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@OwNt wrote:

I've never had a problem with credit card companies being present on a college campus. An adult, depending on the state, is either 18 or 19 years of age. They are more than old enough to make their own decisions, which includes the choice to apply for a credit card.

If a student gets into debt, he or she should get a job and pay it off.

Yes, but there was recognition that students were vulnerable to the marketing techniques of these professionals, and often made bad decisions.   So one way is to recognize that they are adults and are responsible, the other is to attempt to mitigate the risk and put restrictions on what is allowed.   Basically a value judgement as to what causes less harm.  

Message 8 of 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Rackham94 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what things were like before the CC act of 09? I can google but I am more interested in personal encounters and experiences. 

Was income a component of the cc apps? Were 10k limits common for people 18-24? 

I am 18 and back then wasn't really interested in all that. Now I am myFICO in the morning myFICO at work myFICO crackhead.

;D 

Rackham12

Depending on how far back you want to go, if you Google "history of credit cards", there's various interesting reads, especially the detailed wikipedia entry that gives a great historical perspective on cards.

Some of us are oldtimers, having been around a long time in the credit world.  We can remember what it was like to get that first AMEX Green (when it was the only AMEX available), or that Diners Club and Carte Blanche were, at one time, the top drawer cards, long before Centurion and Palladium.  I'm sure some of us will remember the advent of the Discover Card back in the 80s (it premiered during the SuperBowl of 1986), and was a part of the Sears network at the time. 

Back in the day, credit cards were just that...a means to make a purchase on credit, basically a short cut loan. The only real criteria that was considered were income and the (early) versions of the credit scores, back when a 620 was considered a good qualifying score.   I remember when credit cards did not offer benefits, and also when they DID start offering benefits.  I remember the release of the AMEX Gold card, it was the standard that everyone who was successful wanted to attain. There were, at one time, just pain vanilla "Visa" cards, no frills/no bank affiliation on the card, just "Visa".  I'm sure others of the "old timers" around here may have memories of the "olden days"!  In some respects, I do miss those days, when credit was much simpler and we didn't all worry about FICO scores and AMEX FRs! Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I personally like the protection the CARD Act provides consumers.
However,

Min payments were raised as a result
Income verification is a hassle

Double cycle billing is illegal
It changed the way payments are applied,
After the min pmt, the rest goes to highest apr.

If you're under 21, I think you're income must be >$10k

Overall , it's good....but it seems like it'd make the general population less mobile financiay speaking, esp. with increased min pmts and all those lovely FRs going on the world.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.