Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-approval Limits

tag
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Pre-approval Limits

I have 3 credit cards with $5,000 limits for a while and an AMEX charge card since 1998. I receive a lot of the pre-approved letters from all kind of banks to apply with them, but most, if not all, say that a credit limit up to $1,500. Now why would I want the card that they are offering if I have cards that have a much higher limit? I don't understand that marketing strategy from them. Can anyone share any insights on this?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Iamien
Established Member

Re: Pre-approval Limits

Plenty of small fish lenders want to put their card in your hand even if they have nothing competitive to bring to the table.  The reason they send them out is because the credit illiterate see credit like cash and quickly max the card with no intention of paying back or with the intent to pay minimum balances.

Those people end up in this forum a few years later asking why they can't get a $200 secured card from Orchard or Capone.

733 TU (08/21/2013)
Amex BCE($20,000): 3% Groceries - 2% Gas - 2% Department Stores
US Bank Cash+($9,500): 5% Fast Food - 5% Cellphones - 2% Resteraunts
Chase Freedom($4000): 5% Rotating
CapOne QuickSilver($30,000): 1.5% Everything
Citi Double Cash($12,500): 2% Everything.
Lowes($2,400) 5% off Lowes.
Message 2 of 34
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

I see what you mean! And unfortunately that does happen to a lot of people who don't educate themselves first before taking action. I like to be able to get what I want when I want it Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Figure out what you want from your cards and find cards that meet your needs as opposed to waiting for offers.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 34
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Crashem, I don't need more cards, unless if they offer a much higher limit than I currently have. I just receive these offers in the mail. I don't want to waste an inquiry on something that won't benefit me.

Message 5 of 34
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

What companies are the offers coming from?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Yep, hence my advice that you figure out what you are looking for and go find those cards yourself. You mentioned raising your cl. Tendancy for card issuers not to wait to be first to offer higher cl. Your current issuers will raise their cls eventually. Two ways to rush that process. App for new cards that are known to be agressive with initial clips. 2nd, lender with fico friendly cli policies. So which cards do you have and I bet I help you get to 10k faster which will encourage current card issuers to cli as well.
Message 7 of 34
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

I don't remember off the top of my head which banks send me stuff, but a lot of them I never heard off before lol.

I have Chase Sapphire Preferred with $5k, Chase United with $5k and Citibank Thank You with $5,3k.

Which cards are known to have initial credit limits?

Message 8 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

You should get Amex revolver. Their cli policy is among the best. 3x in 61 days. 3x 6 months after. Obviously, you need to qualify but all requests are soft. Btw, your Amex gets backdated to 1998 so probably help your aaoa.
Message 9 of 34
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

You mean a credit card AMEX rather than a charge carde, like Blue?

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.