Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre approval cards?

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Pre approval cards?

Does anyone know of any cards, kind of like capital one, where you can put in your info and get pre approvals? I'm trying to build my husbands score, he just got the cap one secured, but I don't want a lot of HP's on his report so i'm wondering if there is anywhere else I can put his info in and they'll do a pre screen to see if he gets a pre approval. On cap1's website there was an option to do this, is there on any other cards site? I've done the victorias secret trick and it didn't work. It never worked for me either but I eventually got a pre approval email and was approved. So i'm hoping that happens for him too.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Pre approval cards?

Chase https://creditcards.chase.com/

Discover

Citi

Bank of America https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/overview.go

Has preapproval tools you can check as well.

It does not mean you will not get approved if you are not preapproved, and preapproval doesn't mean he will be approved. It's a good estimation tool, but a fairly inaccurate one. I was not pre-approved for any of the cards I applied and got approved for.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@cwwatts1202 wrote:

Does anyone know of any cards, kind of like capital one, where you can put in your info and get pre approvals? I'm trying to build my husbands score, he just got the cap one secured, but I don't want a lot of HP's on his report so i'm wondering if there is anywhere else I can put his info in and they'll do a pre screen to see if he gets a pre approval. On cap1's website there was an option to do this, is there on any other cards site? I've done the victorias secret trick and it didn't work. It never worked for me either but I eventually got a pre approval email and was approved. So i'm hoping that happens for him too.

Chase / BofA do preapprovals AFAIK.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 12
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Chase https://creditcards.chase.com/

Discover

Citi

Bank of America https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/overview.go

Has preapproval tools you can check as well.

It does not mean you will not get approved if you are not preapproved, and preapproval doesn't mean he will be approved. It's a good estimation tool, but a fairly inaccurate one. I was not pre-approved for any of the cards I applied and got approved for.

Thanks for the links. BoA came back with the cash rewards card. I'm quite shocked it didn't come back with their secured card, so I'm pretty hesitant to believe that.

Message 4 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

they can be pretty unreliable / reliable at times, so it's really hard to tell.

but there's also a good chance your husband qualifies for their unsecured card to start with. as far as I know BofA isn't anywhere as strict as Chase or Amex.

Do you mind sharing your husband's brief info so we can try to help?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 12
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

they can be pretty unreliable / reliable at times, so it's really hard to tell.

but there's also a good chance your husband qualifies for their unsecured card to start with. as far as I know BofA isn't anywhere as strict as Chase or Amex.

Do you mind sharing your husband's brief info so we can try to help?

Not at all.

He has a 558 EQ FICO

FP card was charged off last may for $368, settled for $272 in Feb, FP reported a $96 balance instead of $0 on March 10th (he got a 47 point gain from this) so I expect another small point increase when it reports to $0 this month.

Credit Protection assoc. collection for an old bright house networks cable bill (from Aug. 2008) have to call about this because they came and collected our equipment so it seems they never updated the balance but it's still within SOL so not calling to we have the $$ to pay what we do owe which we're paying in May.

Repo from 2008 for $7400 

Midland collection for a verizon wireless bill due to fall off 3/2014 (paying in June)

Anfi collection for a verizon home phone $250, due to fall off 5/2013

National Credit systems "broken lease" for an apt. complex for $2400 (we were let out of our lease so we refused to pay this) due to fall off 7/2013

Auto loan opened Jan 2012-on time every month

Paying the deposit on the Cap1 secured card next week (he was approved for the $99 deposit) 

Message 6 of 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Did it give the Cash Rewards as a prequalified offer or as a default?   I just tried (it forced me to login as it recognized I am a customer) but said that they were unable to match a prequalified offer but suggest Cash Rewards.

With a FICO of 558, I too would be surprised if he would get this card.

Message 7 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

i just tried bank of america's preapproval thing. suggested me the same card. didn't tell me what my APR was specifically going to be, so I am guessing it is not a pre-approval and instead showing me "recommended cards." This is usually the case when one isn't pre-approved for anything. It is just bad web designing that they did not put that in and make customers think they're pre-approved instead.

because of the number of collections on his record, i would say wait until they fall off before trying any prime lender. his scores will go up significantly once they do. So the longest you will have to wait is 3/2014 approx which isn't bad.

will you and your husband be interested in CUs? I am not exactly sure what CUs are there, but most of them are much easier to get started off with. You can also check out smaller banks that have less stringent requirements.

My suggestion is to just wait off for some of them to fall off (such as the verizon and lease collections), and wait for your scores to go up, and then apply for much better cards. opening new accounts now won't exactly help much.

Message 8 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I wouldn't trust it. BoA site is definitely not a pre-approval just a recommended offer site.
Message 9 of 12
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

All the pre approvals I have ever heard of WILL definitely hard pull before giving any final approval.
With a score in the higher 5s I would garden that secured card and try to get as many bands cleared off at the same time.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.