Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre approval cards?

tag
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre approval cards?

For BofA site it has to come back with "Mr/Mrs you are prequalified" after you fill in the info. It does for me, it also tells me my terms (the APR i would get). If it doesnt say that then it is not an offer but probably just inviting you to apply for such card. With me it gave me the top choice i would qualify for and then the rest with each of them giving me their terms.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 11 of 12
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Re: Pre approval cards?

@enharu wrote:

i just tried bank of america's preapproval thing. suggested me the same card. didn't tell me what my APR was specifically going to be, so I am guessing it is not a pre-approval and instead showing me "recommended cards." This is usually the case when one isn't pre-approved for anything. It is just bad web designing that they did not put that in and make customers think they're pre-approved instead.

because of the number of collections on his record, i would say wait until they fall off before trying any prime lender. his scores will go up significantly once they do. So the longest you will have to wait is 3/2014 approx which isn't bad.

will you and your husband be interested in CUs? I am not exactly sure what CUs are there, but most of them are much easier to get started off with. You can also check out smaller banks that have less stringent requirements.

My suggestion is to just wait off for some of them to fall off (such as the verizon and lease collections), and wait for your scores to go up, and then apply for much better cards. opening new accounts now won't exactly help much.

Yea I tried it under my name too and it came back with the same card, and my credit is awful cause of stinking hospital bills i'm in battle with right now ins didn't pay. I lost like 80 points. We actually just joined a CU. I've heard they are more easy to obtain credit with than anyone/anything else. They have a secured CC we were going to try to get but the min. deposit is $250 and we're trying to put every extra penny we have towards paying off the 2 collections that will still be on his CR after the 2 fall off that are falling off in the next couple months. We just moved the end of Feb. and moving is SO expensive so we're still trying to bounce back from that. Hoping to maybe use this Cap1 card for the next 2-3 months and app for the unsecured CC with our CU so we won't have to pay another deposit. We are trying to get a home loan at the end of the year, have been speaking with a lender who thinks his score will be at a 640 by the end of the year (Nov/Dec) based on the collections falling off and the ones we're paying, so we don't plan to app for any CC's after June, I just always heard it was more beneficial to your score to have 3-4 cards. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.