cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-qual for Amex Green Card--Should I do it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-qual for Amex Green Card--Should I do it?

I pre-qual for the Amex green card. Part of me REALLY wants to do it to get in with Amex. But I was just approved for Cap1 QS1 and Platinum.

Is it worth the HP and $95 annual fee after the first year? I'm probably going to just garden for awhile if I do it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Pre-qual for Amex Green Card--Should I do it?

I love Amex so I would do it.  If you need it, or want to get in with Amex then go for it.  If you have no need or will not use it then just let it pass. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I pre-qual for the Amex green card. Part of me REALLY wants to do it to get in with Amex. But I was just approved for Cap1 QS1 and Platinum.

Is it worth the HP and $95 annual fee after the first year? I'm probably going to just garden for awhile if I do it.

Unless you have a real need for it (and it sounds like you don't) I wouldn't bother.   With the old backdating, there was a reasonable argument to get your first Amex as early as you can, to maximize the backdating of future cards.   But now that no longer applies, apart from very fuzzy concepts such as wanting to "get in with the XXX familly" there really is no point.   If you want say an Amex credit card, maybe garden for a bit and then app for a card that would be useful to you.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back the in the olden days I had the Amex Green. But back in the olden days, there was no such thing as an Amex revolver. I wouldn't touch the Green now since Amex has way better alternatives.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Although a lot of people are down on the Amex green card, I still think it can be useful to have in certain situations. For example, it has purchase protection -which I've used before to get money back on a damaged item that I bought -and travel and car insurance coverage, which I have also used for travel and car rentals. For me, it works out to be worth the annual fee. For some, it may not. I do also feel that the customer service I receive from Amex is quite good, and that makes it worth it to me. I also use their point system, although it isn't the best one out there. 

I can't lie, I also remember seeing my uncle use his Amex green when I was a kid and I always wanted one. So I got it and I'm happy about that. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Although a lot of people are down on the Amex green card, I still think it can be useful to have in certain situations. For example, it has purchase protection -which I've used before to get money back on a damaged item that I bought -and travel and car insurance coverage, which I have also used for travel and car rentals. For me, it works out to be worth the annual fee. For some, it may not. I do also feel that the customer service I receive from Amex is quite good, and that makes it worth it to me. I also use their point system, although it isn't the best one out there. 

I can't lie, I also remember seeing my uncle use his Amex green when I was a kid and I always wanted one. So I got it and I'm happy about that. 

Oh those fond memories from childhood. 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Message 6 of 10
cem13
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Back the in the olden days I had the Amex Green. But back in the olden days, there was no such thing as an Amex revolver. I wouldn't touch the Green now since Amex has way better alternatives.

So, what you are REALLY saying is that you are over 40.  The "olden days" do not apply to anyone younger than 40.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 7 of 10
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

If you are pre-qual'd for the green, you would almost certainly be approved for the PRG.   If you see a 50k offer for the PRG, I think I would go for the PRG.  Then once approved, try for either the ED or EDP revolvers.  There is a reasonable chance you will get the charge card and revolver with one EX INQ.   Then while gardening do a few CLI's to push up your ED/EDP credit limit.  

Of course, if you don't have a use for MR points, then this isn't the best advice.  MR points aren't worth that much when cashed out.  Also, if you can't easily make the spend for the both bonuses, it isn't worth doing.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cem13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, what you are REALLY saying is that you are over 40.  The "olden days" do not apply to anyone younger than 40.

I have a coffee cup that I got for my 40th birthday that reads "40 happens". I'm pretty sure it isn't even microwave safe.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with CreditDunce. If you're prequalified for the Green, you're more than likely prequalified for the PRG. Go to their site incognito, try and score the 50k offer, and sign up for the PRG. If you can't spend $1,000 in 3 months, then don't bother, but for most people that's easy enough to do.

The Green is useless, and has a comparatively high AF.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.