Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre qualified sites question

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Pre qualified sites question

@Anonymous wrote:

This thread just gave me the itch to try for Discover. I checked the pre-qualifer site and was qualified for the IT (with the APR range). I had to call them to verify why I had inquiries. They must be inquiry sensitive because I only have 3 inqs on two of my reports and 5 on the other. I told him I was reestablishing credit and they approved me for $1,500. Woot! Now I am done! Garden Garden.

Their site qualifies anybody for the IT, so the prequal meant nothing. Nonetheless, congrats, but didn't you say like a couple posts ago that you were staying in the garden? Be careful you don't let this site tempt you away from your goals and what you really want/need to do.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This thread just gave me the itch to try for Discover. I checked the pre-qualifer site and was qualified for the IT (with the APR range). I had to call them to verify why I had inquiries. They must be inquiry sensitive because I only have 3 inqs on two of my reports and 5 on the other. I told him I was reestablishing credit and they approved me for $1,500. Woot! Now I am done! Garden Garden.

Their site qualifies anybody for the IT, so the prequal meant nothing. Nonetheless, congrats, but didn't you say like a couple posts ago that you were staying in the garden? Be careful you don't let this site tempt you away from your goals and what you really want/need to do.

I absolutely did say that. I'm done, I swear! I saw some other posts about a person on this forum that can't stop apping. I refuse to be like that. I just wanted to try for a prime card. I was always too scared to give it a shot before. Done done! I want my relationship with Cap One and Discover to grow now. I don't have a need for any other cards. I don't travel much so no need to rack up miles or anything like that. I'm a cash back person. Thanks for keeping me in check, though. I truly do appreciate it.

Message 12 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I absolutely did say that. I'm done, I swear! I saw some other posts about a person on this forum that can't stop apping. I refuse to be like that. I just wanted to try for a prime card. I was always too scared to give it a shot before. Done done! I want my relationship with Cap One and Discover to grow now. I don't have a need for any other cards. I don't travel much so no need to rack up miles or anything like that. I'm a cash back person. Thanks for keeping me in check, though. I truly do appreciate it.

No problem Smiley Happy Enjoy your Discover...it's a great card.

Message 13 of 14
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

There is never a guarantee. Even people saying "Chase is gold" is a bit misleading because no prequalifier is "gold" or 100%. Any creditor can still decline you after a prequal. A prequal is based on the lender's most recent SP. Your information could have changed and there's no way to know what time period they are going off of.

In short, they can be a tool to help you, but nothing to rely on. You should app for the card you actually want and not rely on what it says you are prequalified for. You should strive for the cards you want, improve your profile if needed to obtain them, and go from there. Just my advice

+1 most folks don't factor in that their scores may have changed from when they were SP'd so if they were marginal to begin with it can now take them out of the running.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.