Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-screened AmEx question

tag
junojunowhat
Established Member

Pre-screened AmEx question

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I recently checked for pre-approved offers on American Express's website, and it says that I am pre-approved for Gold, Green, and BlueSky. I have 2 questions, how reliable is a pre-approval from Amex, and next which one would you all recommend? Here's a little bit about myself. I'm 25, make about $60k, my TU Fico on my most recent Discover Statement is 654. I have 3 credit cards, Discover it - $1500, Chase Freedom - $1000, and BoA secured - $300. My overall util is about 10%. I have a $7500 auto loan. I have 2 baddies, a paid collection account from 2009 for $900 and a late payment on the auto loan from 2011. Any input would be welcome. Thanks =)

AmEx Hilton HHonors - $18,000 | Discover It - $6,500 | Chase Freedom - $2,000 | BoA Cash Rewards - $1,500 | PayPal Credit - $1,797
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pre-screened AmEx question

AMEX pulls EX just so you know. You received the same offers I did but I went for the BCP and was instantly approved with a 704 EX score. If you're getting offers, it's a very good sign. I'd go for the card you want and not just choose one of their offers.  Hope this helps. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 2 of 3
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pre-screened AmEx question

I had the exact same cards come back on the pre-approval page for me. So last week, I went ahead and applied for the BCE after checking my EX score, which was 722. Instant approval online for $2,000. So yeah, I would say if you are getting the pre-approval, apply for the card you want...Just ensure your score is around the 700 range with EX.

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.